Can't access htdocs files.

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't access htdocs files.

Postby Hopestation » 10. August 2016 15:46

Hi.

I have been using xampp in Windows for some years. Everything works perfectly.

Now I am trying it on Mint 18 and can't open files. I have loaded xampp version 5.6.12.

I can turn on Apache using xampp control panel and open files on localhost, e.g. applications.html, so I know the server is working, but when I try to open a file in a directory I have copied into htdocs I get page 404. On one occasion I got "Access Denied" in the top page tab.

I have tried changing the permissions for the directory to access and read and write for all options, but this has made no difference.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks.
Hopestation

XAMPP version: 5.6.12
Operating System: Linux Mint12

Re: Can't access htdocs files.

Postby Nobbie » 10. August 2016 21:53

Hopestation wrote:What have I done wrong?

At first, you do not show us the folder name you created and at next you do not show us, which file you created and finally you dont show us, what you entered in your Browser in order to see your file. That makes it triple impossible to have any clue, what is going wrong.
Nobbie

Postby Hopestation » 13. August 2016 16:36

Sorry Nobbie, being new to xampp on linux I assumed that many people would immediately reply with my obvious mistake.

The directory I have created in htdocs is called "Dronfield".

The file I want to open is called "index.php".

I typed in the URL box "http://localhost/Dronfield/index.php".

In Windows this works straight away. That is why I thought it was my ignorance of linux that was the problem.

As I said previously, I can view "http://localhost/applications.html". I have checked the permissions of the directory, which has Owner and Group permission of Create and Delete, and the index.php file which has Owner and Group permissions of Read and Write.

I hope this is enough information to show what the problem is.

Thanks for your assistance.
Hopestation

Postby Hopestation » 13. August 2016 16:52

I don't know what I have done differently from before but xampp is now working correctly.
Hopestation

Postby Nobbie » 14. August 2016 08:46

Maybe simply a typo or an uppercase/lowercase problem (Linux is case sensitiv). Or you changed any permissions - if you dont know, we dont know as well.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux