Shrink down Xampp with PHP 7 in size on disk...

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Shrink down Xampp with PHP 7 in size on disk...

Postby Atle » 05. March 2016 16:28

Hello

I am trying to remaster a distro called fatDog64 with preinstalled xampp with PHP7 and Joomla 3.5beta4.

I see xampp grows out and make my iso as large as 620mb. The original iso before adding Xampp is 265mb.

This does that i can not get the iso to boot after remastering. So i need to shrink down the xampp to JUST what is needed in order to run the coming spinnoff...

So i kindly ask a expert to provide me with some great hints on what files i can delete from the installation.

The only needed language is English and there is no need for manuals or anything... just the core to get joomla work and enjoy the speed of PHP 7 that is supported in Joomla 3.5beta4... Also the FTP server is not needed as for now.

Also the Joomla and the OS i must shink down as well. Every MB counts...

I thinkif I can get down to 400 mb the thing will boot as a live CD...

So i cross my fingers

Atle
Atle

Operating System: Puppy Lucid 5.2.8

Re: Shrink down Xampp with PHP 7 in size on disk...

Postby Nobbie » 05. March 2016 22:17

I have never heard about a size limtation to bootable ISO images. An image with the size of 620MB is quite NOTHING. Anyway, you have to install Xampp as it is, you cannot leave out tons of files without loosing functionality. Try to find out, what really is going wrong, instead of deleting important files.
Nobbie

Postby Atle » 05. March 2016 22:35

Thanks for the reply... There are several distroes that uses ramdisk for Live CD. This is one of them. I hope we can agree that issue i try to raise is lot less easy to do rather than getting into ramdisk talk :-) There are several benefits with ramdisk. Especially considering non mechanical storage technologies..

In order to achieve the ramdisk benefits i need to cut wherever i can. I suspect there are some folders and files that can be deleted and still it works.

I do not need anything but English and the FTP is not needed neither. Just a little list of what can be deleted.. Please :-)
Atle

Postby Nobbie » 05. March 2016 23:49

Atle wrote:Thanks for the reply... There are several distroes that uses ramdisk for Live CD. This is one of them. I hope we can agree that issue i try to raise is lot less easy to do rather than getting into ramdisk talk :-) There are several benefits with ramdisk. Especially considering non mechanical storage technologies..

Any 2GB RAM Chip will solve the hardware limitation to the cost of a meal or even less...

I cannot give any usefull advice for deleting a handfull of files with the size of a few KIB instead, this is simply ridiculous. It is a waste of time and money.
Nobbie

Postby Atle » 06. March 2016 00:27

Anyone else out there?
Atle

Postby JJ_Tagy » 06. March 2016 03:28

Best thing for you to do is just try it. If you feel you don't need one of the folders, delete it and run tests to see if your configuration still functions to what you need. You can save 7MB by deleting the FTP and it won't hurt anything. The control panel buttons won't change if the user decides to hit 'start'...
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby Atle » 06. March 2016 12:11

Thanks JJ Tagy... I think I got about 50mb out, I even kicked the uninstaller file out. All language files as well. Everything that looked like documentation.

Also anything that had FTP in or on it. Its often like that with i18. Puppy, Slitaz and Core is basically minimalist. So we cut and shred where possible. "Fat" is not popular. Less is more so to say:-) I need a bit more scientific approach towards the slim and trim.

Atle
Atle

Return to XAMPP for Linux