Adding a user to proFTPD

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Adding a user to proFTPD

Postby Red Dragon » 30. November 2015 03:02

How exactly can I added a new user to proFTPD on a new setup?
Red Dragon

Re: Adding a user to proFTPD

Postby Nobbie » 30. November 2015 12:49

proftpd uses the Linux Users for login (the same UserIDs that are known on your Linux).

Under Linux, UserIds can be created via the useradd command. See your Linux manual.
Nobbie

Postby Red Dragon » 23. December 2015 23:32

well I didn't think I needed to create a new Linux user just to add another account to proFTPD but I then I found that you can use Virtual Users. I got it working with two users now but I would like to know how I can have them access two different Directories. One ftp account for one folder and another account for another folder so that I can run two websites on my server?
Red Dragon

Postby Red Dragon » 25. December 2015 07:08

I found how to add virtual users with different Directories but my problem is that I know that xampp runs on the daemon user but the the files added by the virtual users are own by them. Is there a way to have the files uploaded by virtual users to be owned by the daemon user?
Red Dragon

Postby Nobbie » 25. December 2015 11:55

Red Dragon wrote:but the the files added by the virtual users are own by them. Is there a way to have the files uploaded by virtual users to be owned by the daemon user?

Are your sure? How can a file be owned by a "Virtual User" (which is only known to proftpd, but not to the system!)? Files are owned by the known users of the Linux system. I think, that all files belong to the "daemon" user, which is the only known user in your linux.
Nobbie

Postby Red Dragon » 26. December 2015 01:49

lol the answer was so simple. No, the files are added as the UID the Virtual User has. All I had to do was to set the UID of the Virtual Users to be the same as the UID of the daemon user.
Red Dragon

Postby Nobbie » 26. December 2015 10:46

Red Dragon wrote:lol the answer was so simple. No, the files are added as the UID the Virtual User has. All I had to do was to set the UID of the Virtual Users to be the same as the UID of the daemon user.

If there is "VIrtualUser" with a real UID, it is no Virtual User, it is a real user. It sounds very strange. What is the difference between a "Virtual User" and normal user?
Nobbie

Postby Red Dragon » 27. December 2015 01:39

I don't really understand it was well but the files uploaded by the virtual user had the owner of them being the UID of the virtual user
Red Dragon

Return to XAMPP for Linux