Xampp and Joomla permission problems on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp and Joomla permission problems on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Postby swipis » 04. June 2014 15:22

Hello people,

i need some help here. i just installed xampp into default xampp directory (/opt/lampp/), after tht i was trying to install joomla but i face to the problem that i cant make any changes in that location (/opt/lampp/) because of root and i dont wanna mess with permisions :) . so i open file browser as root (sudo nautilus command) and make website folder in htdocs and extract joomla files. everything is working except i cant make any changes in joomla administrator page because of root. maybe i can get some tips here please, or maybe i can install xampp in home/myname/ folder under my ownership?
OS ubuntu 14.04 lts and xamp x64 1.8.3-4 and joomla 3.3 :)

Thank you
swipis

Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Re: Xampp and Joomla permission problems on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Postby Nobbie » 04. June 2014 15:27

You must change permissions of /opt/lampp/htdocs (either permissions and/or ownership). You cannot install Xampp somewhere else.
Nobbie

Postby swipis » 04. June 2014 16:07

Nobbie wrote:You must change permissions of /opt/lampp/htdocs (either permissions and/or ownership). You cannot install Xampp somewhere else.

can you give me direction how to do that please?
swipis

Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Postby Nobbie » 05. June 2014 15:40

swipis wrote:can you give me direction how to do that please?

Oups - what about your linux knowledge?

Open a terminal, change directory to /opt/lampp and issue a "chmod" command in the shell. You must prepend a "sudo" to the "chmod", because your userrights wont be sufficient for running chmod on all folders. With chmod you can change the permission of htdocs. Enter "man chmod" to get a detailed manual about this command.

Or (instead of chmod) use "chown", which does not change the rights, but the ownership of files and folders. Again, enter "man chown" in a terminal for a detailed manual.

As these are basic linux skills, you should go for a tutorial or similar documentation about linux, about the rights management and the file systems in linux. You will need all this things from time to time.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux