Installer Returns 127 (XAMPP 1.8.3-4 on x64)

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installer Returns 127 (XAMPP 1.8.3-4 on x64)

Postby dentonlt » 26. May 2014 12:29

I'm running Tiny Core 5.3 on kernel 3.8.13 x86_64. It's Debian-like. The default installer from Sourceforge (xampp-linux-1.8.3-4.installer.run) chokes altogether. I have previously run LAMPP on Tiny Core 4.x/x86, but both TC and XAMPP have changed quite a bit since then.

After:

Code: Select all
foo $ sudo chmod 755 xampp-linux-*.installer.run
foo $ sudo ./xampp-linux-*.installer.run

I get nothing at all: no error message, no write or file access ... it just returns to prompt. When I run

Code: Select all
 foo $ sudo ./xampp-linux-*.installer.run; echo $?

I get 127, so it's a failure. =( I've checked md5sums, re-downloaded, tried other installer versions, etc. The 1.8.1 tar.gz is only on 32-bit, so running lampp complains - it needs compatibility libs for 32bit on 64bit.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Maybe my kernel version doesn't work with this? If someone can describe what the installer binary actually does when it starts, or point me to the code that makes the installer, or list any installer dependencies (ldd says it's static, which makes sense), then maybe I can bug-check further. Or maybe just point me to a 1.8.3 series .tar.gz file - I didn't see one on Sourceforge. I'll keep searching.

Any advice welcome.

EDIT: FWIW, the 32bit 1.8.3-4 installer seems to work on a system running Tiny Core 5.3/x86 (32bit).
dentonlt

Operating System: Linux (Tiny Core)

Re: Installer Returns 127 (XAMPP 1.8.3-4 on x64)

Postby dentonlt » 27. May 2014 07:22

A few workarounds were required. The installer needs:

• 64-bit libs are searched for at /lib64, not /lib. Create a symlink if needed.
  • the installer needs shadowutils (groupadd, useradd). If you prefer/use busybox, then you'll need (1) a system group named 'daemon', (2) a system user named 'daemon' and (3) a system user named mysql. Read about busybox adduser/addgroup for how to do this.
  • the installer does not require bash, but the control script (ctlscript.sh) does. Just sh is not enough, unless you feel like re-writing this script.

I hope this helps someone else in the future. Kudos to the Tinycore guys for their assistance. That thread is at http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17085.0.html

DLT
dentonlt

Operating System: Linux (Tiny Core)

Return to XAMPP for Linux