ProFTPd user failing to connect

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

ProFTPd user failing to connect

Postby x_clucky » 05. December 2012 02:07

I have created user SeanJaques with the password (CENSORED) by running the command:
Code: Select all
/useradd SeanJaques
/passwd SeanJaques
    (CENSORED)

Then whenever I attempt to connect to the FTP server using that same information, it fails to connect:
Status:   Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:   220 ProFTPD 1.3.3e Server (ProFTPD) [::ffff:192.168.2.100]
Command:   USER SeanJaques
Response:   331 Password required for SeanJaques
Command:   PASS ****
Response:   530 Login incorrect.
Error:   Critical error
Error:   Could not connect to server

This is what it says in the server-side auth log:
::ffff:192.168.2.1 UNKNOWN nobody [04/Dec/2012:19:58:53 -0500] "USER SeanJaques" 331 -

I know the server works, because when I attempt to connect using my personal account, Clucky, it works perfectly fine. Same with the account I made for my friend, cole, it works perfectly fine too.
x_clucky

Operating System: Linux Ubuntu 12.04

Re: ProFTPd user failing to connect

Postby JonB » 05. December 2012 18:12

/useradd SeanJaques
/passwd SeanJaques

As far as "I" know what you did is add a 'Linux' user account.

That has nothing to do with ProFTPd on a lampp/XAMPP install (again - as far as I know) - XAMPP is not a LAMP stack - its a group of executables that are driven by a bash script (/opt/lamp/lampp). The Linux OS does not see those items as 'installed' - that is why they are in the 'opt' hierarchy (add-on software). Taking that a bit further, lampp (a a server suite) really doesn't know (or care) who your *nix users are. Reading the bash script (lampp) might clarify things, it has pretty good notation.

ProFTPd uses the same schema/logic as .htaccess (quite intentional) -- thus you can use htpasswd to generate prpftpd compatible password hashes.

There's a configuration file for proftpd: /opt/lampp/etc/proftpd.conf. The proftpd executable is in /opt/lampp/sbin.

Docs:
http://proftpd.open-source-solution.org ... gFile.html

XAMPP/LAMPP is really not intended for 'mulituser/homed' implementations - you should build a proper stack if you want a true multi-user Apache install with user-driven 'home directories' and separate login credentials. For Apache via XAMPP/lampp to work correctly in most cases - nobody:root should be the owner of all files.

Good Luck
8)

ysclf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby x_clucky » 05. December 2012 22:00

So there is nothing I can do to add multiple users? I have already done it though, I have 3 different ftp accounts... I don't know how to replicate the process though :/
x_clucky

Operating System: Linux Ubuntu 12.04

Postby JonB » 06. December 2012 02:00

You can have as many virtual FTP accounts as you want. You can also have as many virtual hosts as you want in Apache. There isn't any particularly easy way to make that automated. XAMPP was never designed to be a provisioning system - read - read read - its a TESTING product for use in development work. You are specifically warned its not meant for production environments.

I should clarify that - "virtual FTP users" means that there are no OS account(s) to match to.

To 'host' multiple users, learn and use Linux & Apache and build a LAMP stack - that is what it is intended for. Then there are tools for all this like Webmin and Virtualmin. Although you could (in theory) do all those things with XAMPP -- it will be more work than 'doing it the hard linux way'.

Good Luck
:)

yslf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux