setting a domain name

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

setting a domain name

Postby randor » 13. September 2012 14:34

Hello,

Im back again..

ok, so I have a dedicated IP address running on a router for a local network. I am trying to setup a domain name to point to my web server (Xampp obviously) however I am having a hard time finding any documentation on how to do this. I read somewhere that Dynamic DNS is used for "home web servers" but a couple things on that,
1 is that with a static IP address it doesnt seem like i need it.
2 There is little to no help with how you do this? I have been to 2 different sites (ZoneEdit and DNSDynamic) and both had absolutly no documentation that I could find on how to do it, it just assumes you already know.

So at this point I am pretty lost as to how I set my domain name I already have to point to my web server.

Any help is appreciated

Bob
randor

Operating System: Ubuntu

Re: setting a domain name

Postby JonB » 13. September 2012 18:10

You will need to make changes in the nameservers that your registrar is pointing to. Many registrars provide DNS service (nameservers) whether it is bundled with the domain registration or a separate item depends on their policies and prices, or you can use a service like Zoneedit. Zoneedit is 'kinda' for experts, like you thought.
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby randor » 14. September 2012 15:27

Thank you, I did get this working.. I figured out that I needed to use type A and just put in my IP address, and I did get it to point towards my webserver.

Thanks once again..
randor

Operating System: Ubuntu

Postby JonB » 14. September 2012 20:52

Well that is good. :mrgreen:

Good luck with waht you are working on
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux