I can't do anything!

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

I can't do anything!

Postby PsionicArchon » 05. September 2012 19:02

Let me start off by saying that I absolutely despise Linux at the moment. I also despise searching for help, as it seldom exists anywhere, and I end up giving up several days of my own time solving the problem myself. Alright, so here it goes.

I set up Lampp (Xampp for linux) on my VPS, running Debian. This is version 1.8.0 of Xampp. Websites can't seem to find any of their own files.. even though they've been given full read/write access. I've gone as far as to give everyone access to everything, with no success.

phpmyadmin spits out this error when I attempt to visit it: Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required 'streams.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in /opt/lampp/phpmyadmin/libraries/php-gettext/gettext.inc on line 41

When I attempt to install vbulletin it tells me that ALL of the files needed for the instillation are unable to be located, and that I should re-upload them.. What is going on here? I've tried plugging everything I can think of into Google, I've been on the Vbulletin forums, I've even scoured these forums.

I can't get Xampp working on a Linux box to save my life, honestly, I could have had this done in seconds on a Windows machine. This is a very inexpensive dreamhost vpn, plenty capable of running a small board. If anyone can help me here, walk me through this, anything I'd be eternally grateful. After three days of banging my head into my keyboard I just want to get my old forum back online.
PsionicArchon

Operating System: Debian

Re: I can't do anything!

Postby JonB » 07. September 2012 14:58

I suspect your problems revolve around permissions and ownership.

You should use the FTP service provided with lampp to upload as it will get the ownership right

OR

use the Linux command line/term to set the ownership of the files in /opt/lampp to nobody:root

as root:

Code: Select all
chown -R nobody:root /opt/lampp

I'm also surprised a VPS didn't come with a LAMP stack installed. If its an unmanaged install on a VPS, the price is reflected in YOYO (You are On Your Own) - been there done that. (I'm a server engineering consultant who fixes 'oopsies' for a living)

Good Luck
8)

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux