Cant write or edit files of lampp folder in opt

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cant write or edit files of lampp folder in opt

Postby Pally1 » 24. May 2012 21:20

I dont know what to do, ive been to ubuntu forums and those guys for some idiotic reason simply refuse to tell me how to login as root on kubuntu thus i cant use xampp at all.

Is there any way ican turn lampp folder into a normal folder or at least is it possible to install lampp in home directory, wil lit work than?
Pally1

Re: Cant write or edit files of lampp folder in opt

Postby Pally1 » 24. May 2012 22:01

Ok i managed to find some commands that change ownership of the entire lampp folder and i am able to write files in it, but now i get this error

Warning: World-writable config file '/opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf' is ignored
XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!

and phpmyadmin cannot be opened

Wrong permissions on configuration file, should not be world writable!
Pally1

Re: Cant write or edit files of lampp folder in opt

Postby JonB » 25. May 2012 16:30

A. - I agree tis f***king stupid - as if you did not own the equipment -- AND -- its Open Source software that is supposed to be promoting 'freedom'. I guess that exempts the 'freedom' to be root.

You don't need to be logged in as root. 'su' or 'sudo' will also work. These temporarily (for that terminal session) make you 'root'.

B. - for reasons that will probably not be worth discussing, for things to work right, the 'owner' of the /opt/lampp folders should be ' nobody:root '. Its 'your box', and I'm not in favor of a foolish policy, but I will tell you there are many reasons to leave the ownership as it was intended (ditto permissions) that is why it (lampp) is shipped in a tar.gz archive. Hint - 'nobody' is a special user in Linux, OR better yet - open /opt/lampp/lampp (its a bash script) in a programmer's editor, and read the comments, grok the script...

C. -
Warning: World-writable config file '/opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf' is ignored
XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!

and phpmyadmin cannot be opened

Wrong permissions on configuration file, should not be world writable!

You DO see why that is, right???
a 'good value' should probably be '644' (that is "standard" for data files in Linux - Owner can Read/Write, everyone else - Read Only)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/html_ch ... ulator.htm

Good Luck with your project.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux