Couple of questions for help with xubuntu

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Couple of questions for help with xubuntu

Postby payneardo » 20. February 2012 11:44

Hi, all Hoping somebody can help me

Relatively new to linux but liking the smaller footprint instead of XP but got a couple of problems when using xbutunu (Open to suggestions is there is a better solution for a linux version to run a local web server)

How Do I auto start xampp as I have search around and everything I have found so far doesnt work as the directories are different :(

Also tried to install webmin (as it will be a VM that is hidden as a service & need this) but getting errors about some perl libraries missing

Hope somebody can help and using the latest version of xubuntu downloaded today

Cheers

Payneardo
payneardo

Operating System: xubuntu

Re: Couple of questions for help with xubuntu

Postby JonB » 20. February 2012 11:53

How Do I auto start xampp as I have search around and everything I have found so far doesnt work as the directories are different

You "could" look at the very first post in this board. The one that says "How to auto-start LAMPP" -- now there's a thought... :lol:

As for the Webmin issues, I have not yet started up my Remote Vulcan Mind Meld to determine exactly what Perl Library errors you got.

Good Luck
8)

ycf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby payneardo » 20. February 2012 11:58

JonB wrote:
How Do I auto start xampp as I have search around and everything I have found so far doesnt work as the directories are different

You "could" look at the very first post in this board. The one that says "How to auto-start LAMPP" -- now there's a thought... :lol:

As for the Webmin issues, I have not yet started up my Remote Vulcan Mind Meld to determine exactly what Perl Library errors you got.

Good Luck
8)

ycf

I did and it doesn't work the directories don't exist on xubuntu and tried various other google searches and tried various other solutions that don't work as well :(
payneardo

Operating System: xubuntu

Postby JonB » 20. February 2012 15:07

I'll take you at your word (to an extent) - although the folder may be different (or you may not know some things) about Xubuntu (you don't say the version either) that configuration should work with most newer Linux distributions, as its linux kernel level configuration.

In linux versions are just as important as they are on any other OS, please add your version to your profile, thanks :wink:

here is an older solution:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-linux.html

After I rebooted my Linux box XAMPP stopped running! How can I fix this?

Correct. That's normal Linux behaviour (which applies to any other Unix-like system. It's the admin's job to make sure a particular application is started at bootup.
There is no real standard way to configure the boot process of a Linux system, but most of them should allow you to start XAMPP at boot time using the following steps.

First, find out your default runlevel.
Simply type egrep :initdefault: /etc/inittab.
You should now see a line containing a number between two colons.
In most cases 3 or 5 (2 if you're using Debian).
Go into the directory which configures this runlevel. If for example your runlevel is 3, then you have to change into the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d directory:
cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

If your system didn't provide /etc/rc.d/rc3.d please try also /etc/init.d/rc3.d and /etc/rc3.d.

Now carry out the actual configuration by typing:
ln -s /opt/lampp/lampp S99lampp
ln -s /opt/lampp/lampp K01lampp

Now XAMPP should start and stop automatically if you boot or shutdown your machine.
OpenSuSE 10.0 is a little bit stange: You need to set up a symbolic link from /etc/init.d/lampp to /opt/lampp/lampp:
ln -s /opt/lampp/lampp /etc/init.d/lampp

And than use the runlevel editor (expert mode) from YaST to activate XAMPP for the specific runlevels.

Worth reading:
https://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/s ... cd-scripts

Good Luck.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux