My setup is Debian 6.0.2, Xampp 1.7.7. After installing I did the following:
- Changed permissions so that users in a new group 'web' could change files under /opt/lampp/
- Started server
- Set security options (no password requirement for viewing pages)
- Verified the server was working by viewing default home page in browser - the index.php in /opt/lampp/htdocs directed request to the Xampp home page and it displayed correctly
- Replaced the default index.php with my own (at /opt/lampp/htdocs/index.php ), and verified this displayed correctly when I requested http://127.0.0.1/ in browser.
- Created subdirectory /opt/lampp/htdocs/steve
- Set permissions same as the parent
- Put files in the new subdirectory - /opt/lampp/htdocs/steve now contains an index.php and links.php
Now when I request http://127.0.0.1/steve in the browser, it says "Object not found" and 404.
What else do i need to do to get a subdirectory to be served when requested?