Another MySQL daemon is already running

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Another MySQL daemon is already running

Postby seoux » 27. October 2011 14:30

I installed XAMPP 1.7.7 on Ubuntu 10.04.

There was not any previously installed apache or mysql server. So, it worked at first attempt.

I tried to create a root user by
$ mysql -u root -p

It complained about not finding mysql-client, and searching through forums I decided to install mysql-server-5.1 not just the client.

That way, I was able to create root password, but then phpmyadmin page gave error:

#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured.)

I removed mysql-server and all other client packages that come with it, but still getting the problem.

And I think somewhere during the process, another error added up, now phpmyadmin page also says (in addition to the above error):

Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

any solution?

seoux
seoux

Operating System: linux-ubuntu

Re: Another MySQL daemon is already running

Postby JonB » 27. October 2011 16:47

There already IS a root user (with no password) in every MySQL installation by default. Think about if for a minute and you will see why.

XAMPP/LAMPP (once installed) is 'ready to work'

I recommend you NOT try to use the MySQL CLI (unless you understand Linux pretty well and can grok the differences between XAMPP and a standard LAMP stack). Things are in 'different places' and have 'different owners'. So 'standard' Linux/LAMP commands may get ambiguous results. That is the source of your issue. That mysql command did not know where to find MySQL, that's why it wanted to install the client.

the mysql executable is in /opt/lampp/bin. SOOOO, just like LAMPP (/opt/lampp/lampp ...) SO you should start the MySQL monitor with commands like so:

Code: Select all
 /opt/lampp/bin/mysql --user root --password

you will be prompted for your password.

that will start the MySQL monitor and you'll get the mysql> prompt

Code: Select all
[root@localhost jonb]# /opt/lampp/bin/mysql --user root --password
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 28
Server version: 5.5.8 Source distribution

Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> exit

Beyond that, you will want to learn a dizzying array of command parameters that may or may not work in any given situation (not my job on that, I didn't write it).

You should look at the XAMPP/LAMPP Linux FAQ's if you haven't (down toward the bottom).
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

If you have given the MySQL 'root' a password, you will need to fix config.inc.php for phpMyAdmin.

If it (this install) doesn't work out, the EASIEST thing to do is use the 'remove' commands listed on that page and just start fresh.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux