filezilla or proftp [SOLVED]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

filezilla or proftp [SOLVED]

Postby bl4d3 x » 22. October 2011 18:30

Can some one pls point me in the right direction on how to start filezilla or proftp on xampp 1.7.7 ?

i am an old xampp user but on windows and have now gone to linux every thing is installed and working perfect but i just cant see to find out how to start ftp on linux xampp
ubuntu 11.10 xampp 1.7.7
bl4d3 x

Operating System: linux (Ubuntu 11.10)

Re: filezilla or proftp

Postby JonB » 22. October 2011 19:02

Did you read the XAMPP for Linux Page?
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html (down a bit)

startftp Starts the ProFTPD server. Via FTP you can upload files for your web server (user "nobody", password "lampp"). This command activates the ProFTPD permanently, e.g. if you restarts XAMPP in the future FTP will stay activated.

Looks like you might need the command - (as root, su, or sudo of course)
/opt/lampp/lampp startftp

A - after this, when you start LAMPP - ProFTP should also start. I don't have version 1.7.7 running on my LAMPP box, so there might be an issue I am unaware of.

B. - ProFTP is keyed to the user 'nobody'. At one point they had sett the default password to 'lampp' - gee a security hole you say?? I think they may have fixed that, but not fixed the FAQ. BTW the configuration file is /opt/lampp/etc/proftpd.conf . I recall having to muck about a bit to get an encrypted password configured.

I just checked my box remotely, and the facts are basically correct.

Good Luck
8)

There are more - BE CARFEUL - troubleshooting hints here - they are very specific and should not be used unless you have 'exactly that problem'
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... l#sicherer
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: filezilla or proftp

Postby bl4d3 x » 22. October 2011 20:39

Got it all working and ty oh and i did read that page but it made no sense to me :D remember im was a windows user and have made the jump and i like it
ubuntu 11.10 xampp 1.7.7
bl4d3 x

Operating System: linux (Ubuntu 11.10)

Return to XAMPP for Linux