ISSUE: htdoc defaults to xampp directory [SOLVED]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

ISSUE: htdoc defaults to xampp directory [SOLVED]

Postby skoalbandit70 » 21. October 2011 17:13

I had a server crash and installed the latest version of XAMPP on Ubuntu. I have a sister server that is the live working website. It works fine. If you put in the URL it goes to htdocs and pulls up the index.php file I've placed there.

However on the new server I've got an issue. When I put in it's URL it wants to go to the xampp directory. The work around was to redirect from the index.php page in the xampp directory. That worked. I need the favorites icon I created but still keep getting the orange XAMPP icon. Basically the URL defaults to the xampp directory.

I've looked at the httpd.conf and the virtual hosts config file. I didn't change anything in the virtual hosts file. I even did a line by line comparison of the functioning server and the new server's config files. They match. I'm not sure what the issue is and I'm at my wits end. I've Googled around and find little information of value.

Anybody have ANY thoughts?

Basically I want to type in the URL, it pull up the index.php file in the root directory of htdocs and display the correct favorites icon. I could care less about the xampp directory or it's contents.

Anybody with some helpful insight gets the gold star for today.
skoalbandit70

Re: ISSUE: htdoc defaults to xampp directory

Postby JonB » 21. October 2011 18:51

Did you actually check the contents of 'index.php' in /opt/lampp/htdocs on the new server to make sure it was written out correctly? As in owner and permissions checking as well? (should be nobody:root, 644 probably). If the ownership was root:root it probably would not work right. (just a recollection)

I'm not at work right now (on site) so I can't easily dig through my lampp box.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby skoalbandit70 » 21. October 2011 19:27

You are indeed correct. I was actually a permissions issue. So I'm guessing that since the index.php file wasn't set to the correct permissions (still readable on the web though) we got a redirect to the xampp directory.

So...now my issue is the favicon.ico file not displaying. I still keep getting the xampp default icon. And I even set favicon.ico to 777 just to see. I get the correct icon if I type in the server's IP address. If I use the domain name then I don't get the correct icon.

It works correctly on the other server without having made modifications to the virtual hosts config file. I'm guessing something is up in there? Or on httpd.conf? I don't know where though. The server's config files are verbatim, line for line unless I've looked at it so long I've missed something.
skoalbandit70

Postby JonB » 21. October 2011 22:08

Its quite possible the favicon is cached - clear your browser, or try one that has not been 'tuned' to this address. Some browser's store the Icon with the Favorite/Bookmark (also a big pain to get rid of)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby skoalbandit70 » 21. October 2011 22:18

It's there. Cache was the problem.

Thanks for all the help! Big shiney gold star for you today! :-)

This server has been a pain since yesterday.
skoalbandit70

Postby JonB » 21. October 2011 23:48

Thanks for all the help! Big shiney gold star for you today!

Thanks - I'll save that one for a day I'm not batting 100%

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Linux