Error 403 Forbidden Error page

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Error 403 Forbidden Error page

Postby Rick-O-Shay » 11. April 2010 19:44

Hi,

I have xampp installed and running and I am trying to access my index.html page but I keep getting an error 403 forbidden error page. I checked my error log and this is what it says:

[Sun Apr 11 11:40:14 2010] [crit] [client ::1] (13)Permission denied: /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/phantasia4/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

I don't know what this really means or how to fix it. Please help.

This is the page I am trying to access: http://localhost/xampp/phantasia4/publi ... index.html

Thanks!
Rick-O-Shay

Re: Error 403 Forbidden Error page

Postby Rick-O-Shay » 11. April 2010 20:37

Just so everyone knows I am running Ubuntu 9.10 as my OS.
Rick-O-Shay

Re: Error 403 Forbidden Error page

Postby Nobbie » 11. April 2010 22:11

Rick-O-Shay wrote:I don't know what this really means or how to fix it. Please help.

It means what it says: the file /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/phantasia4/.htaccess is not readable. Not readable for Apache, which runs with a certain userid (see httpd.conf, look for the entry "User ..."). Usually it is preconfigured to run as "nobody" or "www-data" or similar.

Check the permissons of that file and of the folder, which holds this file. You can change the permissions using the "chmod" command. Enter "man chmod" in a terminal, what shows up the manual for "chmod". If you would like to change the ownership of the file (and/or the folder), you need to run the "chown" command in a terminal. Enter "man chown" in a terminal for for the manual about "chown". You must be superuser ("root") to run chown. Simply use the "sudo" command to execute chown with root permission - if you dont know "sudo", enter "man sudo" in a terminal.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux