a few beginner questions on installation, security,,..

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

a few beginner questions on installation, security,,..

Postby higuy » 30. September 2009 17:55

Hi, I'm new to XAMPP. I've installed XAMPP on my Ubuntu 9.04 installation on my home computer.

I want to install Joomla! and create a website within the localhost enviroment [is that the right word?]. Then I will eventually 'export' (transfer) the website to a shared hosting server.

I have several questions. I would appreciate it very much if someone could help.

I am unable to find clear beginner level info on installing Joomla! on XAMPP on a Linux OS. The Joomla! website documentation caters more to Windows.

1. Is there a non-complicated way to install Joomla! ?

2. Does XAMPP need to be secured if you're only running it on localhost, with no network, no collaboration, [aka a single desktop computer with a cable internet router] ?

3. Is it possible to create the website in the localhost setup and (transfer) it to a live shared webhost?
higuy
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 30. September 2009 16:15

Re: a few beginner questions on installation, security,,..

Postby Nobbie » 30. September 2009 19:32

higuy wrote:I am unable to find clear beginner level info on installing Joomla! on XAMPP on a Linux OS. The Joomla! website documentation caters more to Windows


I definately do not believe to that, as Apache/PHP/MySQL are originally developed in a linux environment. I installed joomla a couple of times and cannot agree that the installation procedure "caters more to Windows". Dont know why you are so wrong with that.

higuy wrote:1. Is there a non-complicated way to install Joomla! ?


There is only ONE way to install Joomla: install Joomla. And follow the installation instruction.

higuy wrote:2. Does XAMPP need to be secured if you're only running it on localhost, with no network, no collaboration, [aka a single desktop computer with a cable internet router] ?


No.

higuy wrote:3. Is it possible to create the website in the localhost setup and (transfer) it to a live shared webhost?


Only with plenty(!) of knowledge about everything(!) what you are doing there. In your special case, I would like to say "No": you have no chance to do that on yourself (not yet!).
Nobbie
 
Posts: 8770
Joined: 09. March 2008 13:04


Return to XAMPP for Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests