In order to do that I Installed the windows version of Xampp on an externall disk and changed the configuration files of Apache and mySQL so that they point to an external folder.
I tried the same with the linux version LAMPP but it fails.
I did the following steps
- tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz -C /media/DISK320/
- Create a link /opt/lampp to /media/DISK320/lampp
- modified /media/DISK320/lampp/etc/httpd.conf so that it uses the same root folder as my Windows Installation
- modified /media/DISK320/lampp/etc/my.cnf file to use the same database as my Windows installation
- tried to start lampp... it start's however it does not read the my.cnf file and I have not access to the correct database
- moved lampp/etc/my.cnf to /etc/my.cnf changed permissions and created a link to pointing from lampp/etc/my.cnf to /etc/my.cnf
When I try the phpMyAdmin link (in the Linux version) I get this message
"Wrong permissions on configuration file, should not be world writable!"