upgrading from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1 issues

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

upgrading from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1 issues

Postby treehousetim » 10. September 2009 04:16

Hi,

Just upgraded from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1 and phpmyadmin broke.

The problem is one of permissions.
I was able to chown www-data.www-data phpmyadmin and fix the problem. (I did it to all files inside the directory too).

My questions are:

I'm assuming that because I ran the upgrade as the root user that's why the files that were replaced as part of the upgrade were owned by root.
Why do the instructions say to run the upgrade as root?
Is there a bug in the upgrade process that fails to chown the files to www-data automatically?
Should I worry that other files/folders might have the wrong ownership now?

Thanks!

- Tim
treehousetim

Re: upgrading from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1 issues

Postby dmphotography » 12. September 2009 18:12

To fix it, simply use chown username -R /opt/lampp . This will change everything over to your username and should fix any issues.

There isn't a bug in the update. If it were able to change ownership of files automatically, it would pose as a major security risk. Linux is designed to NOT allow this, which keeps things such as viruses and malware from being able to function on Linux machines.

The reason you use the root user is simply to avoid any complications by not having correct permissions or ownership. If it was set right, you could just as easily run it without root permissions and it would install/update just fine.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Linux