403 error with DocumentRoot on external drive.

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

403 error with DocumentRoot on external drive.

Postby dmphotography » 04. February 2009 10:47

Hey everyone,
After learning XAMPP for Windows rather extensively and writing several tutorials on using it and configuring it, I've began diving into Linux so I can do the same with it. I've finally got a grasp on the file and folder ownership/permissions and can do most everything I've needed to so far.

But upon creating a tutorial on vhosts, I encountered a problem I'm not sure how to fix. My goal was to make fake domains in my hosts file, then create three different locations for the domain's root folders to give a better explination of how to use VirtualHosts. The problem came when I tried making the third domain's root folder on a USB drive. The path to the third domain is /media/HPV100W/mythirddomain . My virtual host entry for it looks like this:

Code: Select all
## My Third Domain ##

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName mythirddomain.com
ServerAlias www.mythirddomain.com
DocumentRoot "/media/HPV100W/mythirddomain"
<Directory "/media/HPV100W/mythirddomain">
Options +Indexes FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The first two domains work perfect, but upon trying to access the third one, I get a 403 Forbidden message.

I checked the error log and it says:
Code: Select all
[error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission denied: access to / denied

There isn't a .htaccess file in the mythirddomain folder or the HPV100W folder either. The permisssions in the VirtualHost file should override this error, but I'm missing something and I'm thinking it pertains to Linux, which I'm not extremely familiar with.

Thanks in advance for your help.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Linux