Minimal Xampp for Linux

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Minimal Xampp for Linux

Postby DigitOne » 05. December 2008 21:59

Hi,
I was wondering if there was a lite (or better yet, a super lite) version of Xampp for Linux. Ideally, all I need is something similar to MicroApache (http://microapache.amadis.sytes.net/) which is for Windows and just comes with a minimal Apache and PHP support. Does anyone know how to minimize Xampp so that it just gives me this functionality without all the extras? I'm not looking at just disabling the other extras (MySQL, phpMyAdmin, etc.), but at removing them completely to save space as well. Thanks for your help.
DigitOne

Re: Minimal Xampp for Linux

Postby glitzi85 » 05. December 2008 22:07

In this case i would recommend self compiling the parts. Just Apache and PHP isn't too complicated. If you want, i can give you some help as i did this several times already. Just tell me what Linux you have and i will post you the commands.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby DigitOne » 06. December 2008 07:16

Hi glitzi,
Thanks for your reply. I still haven't decided on a distro. I'm basically trying to create a virtual machine (perhaps using VMware or VirtualBox) with as low a memory footprint as possible. So I might go with a distro such as RIP (Recovery is Possible) or something like that. I've also run into the following link: http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2008-03/ ... _for_linux which covers compiling a portable apache for linux. However, I would prefer a ready out of the box minimal xampp because it would be easier to deploy and I wouldn't have to compile anything + recompile apache or php on each new version of apache or php.
DigitOne

Postby Nobbie » 06. December 2008 15:58

>However, I would prefer a ready out of the box minimal xampp

You would ... but there is no minimal Xampp out of the box.
Nobbie

Postby glitzi85 » 08. December 2008 21:32

DigitOne wrote:However, I would prefer a ready out of the box minimal xampp because it would be easier to deploy and I wouldn't have to compile anything + recompile apache or php on each new version of apache or php.

Then install something like Debian and run
Code: Select all
apt-get install apache2 php5

then you will get Apache2 and PHP5. Updates will simply be made with
Code: Select all
apt-get upgrade

You can choose every other distribution of course, just use the package manager of this distribution and install the two packages. That's the easiest way.

glitzi
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Linux