Apache und MySQL tot (Englisch: Apache and MySQL dead)

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache und MySQL tot (Englisch: Apache and MySQL dead)

Postby Jesdisciple » 08. August 2008 00:32

• Deutsch: Ich weiß nur Englisch, aber wenn Sie Deutsch Ich werde versuchen Sie es durch einen Übersetzer.
  • Englisch: I only know English, but if you post German I'll try running it through a translator.
  • Deutsch: Ich laufe Ubuntu 8,04 (Hardy Heron) und vor kurzem installierten KDE zu laufen andere Programme. Jetzt ist meine XAMPP-Installation funktioniert nicht (außer, um die Root-Verzeichnis). Wenn ich Öffnen Sie die Systemsteuerung, ich sehe, dass ProFTPD läuft aber Apache und MySQL werden gestoppt. Die Ausgabe des Root-Verzeichnis ist weiter unten. Was kann ich tun? Danke!
  • Englisch: I run Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and recently installed KDE to run other programs. Now my XAMPP installation doesn't work (except to retrieve the root directory). When I open the control panel, I see that ProFTPD is running but Apache and MySQL are stopped. The output of the root directory is below. What can I do about this? Thanks!

(Der Text unten bedeutet "Es funktioniert!")
Code: Select all
<html><body><h1>It works!</h1></body></html>
--
Chris
Jesdisciple

Postby Wiedmann » 08. August 2008 00:36

Now my XAMPP installation doesn't work

What's the message from the XAMPP startup script? ("/opt/lampp/lampp start")
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Jesdisciple » 08. August 2008 01:32

I tried it after stopping the server and got the below. So I rebooted and got the same.
$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.6.7...
XAMPP: Another web server daemon is already running.
XAMPP: Another MySQL daemon is already running.
XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
XAMPP for Linux started.

I'm very glad you (as an English-speaker) saw the thread. Thanks a bunch!
--
Chris
Jesdisciple

Postby Wiedmann » 08. August 2008 02:01

XAMPP: Another web server daemon is already running.
XAMPP: Another MySQL daemon is already running.

I think this message is clear:
You have installed another Apache/MySQL. And as long these are running, you can't start XAMPP.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Jesdisciple » 08. August 2008 03:48

OK, but that doesn't tell me how to fix the situation. What such program(s) would come packaged with either kde or kubuntu-desktop (lower case because they're package names)? I tried Google and came up empty.

From the other end of the problem, how do I find what programs are set to execute at boot-up?

EDIT: On second thought, those are both Ubuntu questions. Thanks!
--
Chris
Jesdisciple

Postby glitzi85 » 08. August 2008 05:04

Hi,

you can execute
netstat -atp
in the terminal (as root - on Ubuntu you might need to use sudo) to see what programs are tied to Ports 80 and 3306.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby Jesdisciple » 08. August 2008 05:12

I don't see either number listed anywhere. Thanks for helping.
$ sudo netstat -atp
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 localhost:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN      5264/mysqld     
tcp        0      0 *:20433                 *:*                     LISTEN      6354/python     
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN      5186/cupsd     
tcp        0      0 Jesdisciple-lapto:34793 ar-in-f83.google.co:www ESTABLISHED 6528/firefox   
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59407         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 Jesdisciple-lapto:43519 ar-in-f18.google.co:www ESTABLISHED 6528/firefox   
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59415         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59411         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59418         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59410         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59417         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59408         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59413         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59412         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59409         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59416         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 localhost:20433         localhost:59420         TIME_WAIT   -               
tcp        0      0 Jesdisciple-lapto:43524 ar-in-f18.google.co:www ESTABLISHED 6528/firefox   
tcp6       0      0 [::]:www                [::]:*                  LISTEN      5889/apache2 
--
Chris
Jesdisciple

Postby glitzi85 » 08. August 2008 06:05

Sorry, my fault. I forgot the n-Switch, then you would have numeric output. But this is also OK.

tcp        0      0 localhost:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN      5264/mysqld 

This is your MySQL Server running on port 3306 and
tcp6       0      0 [::]:www                [::]:*                  LISTEN      5889/apache2 

this is your Apache Webserver running on Port 80 (on IPv6).

Now you can find out with
ps -axf | grep -E "apache2|mysqld"
from where your Servers are started. I guess that are the Servers provided by you Operating System. There are two ways to stop this. The first way would be to uninstall those servers. You can make this by running the command

apt-get --purge remove apache2 mysqld

This will uninstall the Apache2 and MySQL Server provided by Ubuntu. It will also automatically stop the Servers, so you can directly start LAMP after this step.
The Problem with this method is that you maybe uninstall software you do not want do delete. You can call
apt-get -s --purge remove apache2 mysqld
to simulate the process. You can see what packages would be removed, but nothing happens in real. If you are sure you want to do this, you can call the command again without the -s Switch and the packages will be removed finally.

The second way is the more safe solution. Run this command:
cat /etc/inittab | grep id:
to see what Runlevel your computer is starting normally. The ouput should be in the format
id:x:initdefault:

where x is a number between 2 and 5. Go into the Folder /etc/rcx.d/ where x is the number you figured out in the above command and delete the Shortcuts to apache2 and mysqld. After restarting your Computer the Servers should not start anymore.

There would also be a third way. Replace the Startup-Scripts for Apache and MySQL in /etc/init.d/ with the ones you got from XAMPP. That would be possible, but not recommended as those scripts would be automatically deleted whenever you uninstall the Servers provided with Ubuntu.

glitzi

PS: Don't forget to call
apt-get moo
:-)
glitzi85

Postby Jesdisciple » 08. August 2008 06:39

I'm sorry it took me so long to realize this, but the root of this problem is actually what I tried to accomplish a week or two back: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873145 Installing KDE apparently knocked something loose.

glitzi, thanks very much for your time. I may well have not discovered the golden nugget in the gears if you hadn't walked me through this.
--
Chris
Jesdisciple

Postby glitzi85 » 08. August 2008 06:45

It's always a pleasure to make somebody happy :D

Have fun with whatever you now decide to use :wink:

glitzi
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Linux