Can The Document Root Be On USB Thumbdrive?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby websmoken » 10. July 2008 21:08

I have XAMPP installed to the /opt folder of which I had to create, cause Mint didn't have 1. Everything works great. I want to use my thumbdrive to store my files. What all has to be changed to do this.

Thanks in advance
websmoken

Postby Redlet » 11. July 2008 10:43

Not sure I understand everything you write but I would say there is no difficulty using any location to store files you want to access with Apache. You just have to create soft links.

For example, if you want to store the content of htdocs on a non standard location, let's say /home/me/files :

1. cp -R /opt/lampp/htdocs/* /home/me/files
2. rm -R /opt/lampp/htdocs
3. ln -s /home/me/files /opt/lampp/htdocs

After that, /opt/lampp/htdocs which is necessary still exists but it is only a link to /home/me/files which contains the files.
Redlet

Postby websmoken » 12. July 2008 03:53

Well Redlet It worked. Only thing I had was an error about the version number. I opened start.php and edited that out line 12. I did noticed an error when i ran the 1st line "cp -R /opt/lampp/htdocs/* /mnt/usbflash/htdocs/" in that it said couldn't copy version somthing like that. I'd like to work on the start page so it includes my site directories also. A big Tennessee THANKS fer helpin me.

Dave
websmoken

Return to XAMPP for Linux