Who is Apache owner under Xampp

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Who is Apache owner under Xampp

Postby micromart » 04. December 2007 14:52

Hi all

Another newbie to Linux and Xampp here. I'm trying to install some software which requires the Apache owner to also have ownership of a specific directory in the htdocs folder. It expects the owner of the Apache proecess to be called Apache, but this doesn't seem to be the case under Xampp. Is the owner wwwrun by default and can I simply edit this user's name to apache?

One thing I've found very difficult in looking at Linux is that each distro seems to set up software such as Apache in its own way, with different directories and user permisions.

Could some nice person also list the useful commands with switches for identifying process owners and process ID names. I know some of them (ps) but never seem to get the answer I want.

Thanks in advance for putting up with a newbie question.
micromart

Reply to myself

Postby micromart » 05. December 2007 12:02

I've found out that under Xammp, Apache's owner is the 'Nobody' user. Why oh why do different distros and programs use different setups for bog standard services and applications? It makes it very difficult for a newbie like me to follow an install guide unless you have one specifically for your setup.
micromart

Return to XAMPP for Linux