Install xampp in some othe path and port

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Install xampp in some othe path and port

Postby trinath » 08. March 2007 08:43

Hi All,

Can I install XAMPP in some other path and at some other port.

Please help me in this regards,

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Trinath
trinath

Postby JKMickelson » 09. March 2007 07:15

Hi Trinath,

"Other Ports" is easy.

"Other Path" is a different story, though I have multiple copies of standard XAMMP 1.60 running in different directories with various and separate configurations. All copies of XAMPP are running simultaneously without conflict. This "Dual Core/Multi Core XAMPP" technique has been experimental, but I am in the process of putting it into production level service.

To help you properly, I need to know what you are trying to accomplish.

Cheers,
JK
JKMickelson

Postby trinath » 09. March 2007 08:36

JKMickelson wrote:Hi Trinath,

"Other Ports" is easy.

"Other Path" is a different story, though I have multiple copies of standard XAMMP 1.60 running in different directories with various and separate configurations. All copies of XAMPP are running simultaneously without conflict. This "Dual Core/Multi Core XAMPP" technique has been experimental, but I am in the process of putting it into production level service.

To help you properly, I need to know what you are trying to accomplish.

Cheers,
JK

Hi JK,

Thank you for the reply.

I have downloaded XAMP . but as it says , it can be installed and accessed from /opt folder only.

But , say I have a user trinath-xampp and I want to install xampp at that user's home directory and make the port to 8888 ....... .and user it . But when I tried the same , I got more errors , Xampp is harcoded so that it runs in /opt directory . Now How can I change/modify xampp to make it run at the so defined user's home directory.

Please help me in this regards,

Thanks in advance ,

Best Regards,

Trinath
http://www.myospages.com
trinath

Postby JKMickelson » 09. March 2007 09:42

Trinath,

I think I see want you want to do. You want to setup one copy of XAMPP for each user. If I take that idea to an extreme, I could have each user be a reseller and use his local copy of XAMPP to host web sites. Web servers are not designed to be used in that fashion (one server per user). It uses a lot of resources.

The idea of having XAMPP installed into multiple user directories is a solution I can neither support nor technically give direction. What you desire would require a recompile of XAMPP. That is something I have yet to do.

Multiple XAMPPs is not supported by ApacheFriends. It is a custom, do-it-yourself configuration.

The only reason I use multiple XAMPPs is to provide PHP4, PHP5, and PHP6 environments on one server so that I am not forced to needlessly upgrade all my happy customers from PHPx to PHPy when I want to use the next PHP version. There are cheaper (resource-wise) ways to accomplish this using a standard XAMPP install. But I am enjoying my research.

It seems that no one else is thinking about the PHP upgrade process and truly mitigating its effects. XAMPP, with its stand-alone environment, is perfect for preserving legacy web sites and web apps while allowing the use of new web technology.
JKMickelson

Postby JKMickelson » 09. March 2007 10:15

The simplest way of running two LAMP environments is to:

- Have 2 available IP addresses
(hint: use your ISP's DNS server and save your 2 IP addresses for this purpose instead. Your ISP's DNS are faster, more secure, and use resources on your ISP's server, not yours)

- Get a standard web server running on your linux listening to one IP address
(use apt-get or yum to install your distro's LAMP components.)

- Install XAMPP and change the ports and have it listen to the 2nd IP address

FACT: multiple LAMP stacks require multiple bound IP addresses
(or it requires a very convoluted configuration that is unsustainable beyond two stacks).

Public Service Announcement:
If this makes your head spin, and you haven't a clue on how to proceed, this is not the recommended solution for you. This is a completely custom configuration with no support from anyone, anywhere. You must be completely self-reliant and capable of addressing unfamiliar problems with confidence, patience, and long hours of research.

There are no control panels for such a configuration. It is all manual.
However, implemented properly, it provides great benefit in cost, stability, and protection of current and legacy assets while allowing immediate adoption of some of the latest web technologies.
JKMickelson

Postby trinath » 12. March 2007 10:52

JKMickelson wrote:The simplest way of running two LAMP environments is to:

- Have 2 available IP addresses
(hint: use your ISP's DNS server and save your 2 IP addresses for this purpose instead. Your ISP's DNS are faster, more secure, and use resources on your ISP's server, not yours)

- Get a standard web server running on your linux listening to one IP address
(use apt-get or yum to install your distro's LAMP components.)

- Install XAMPP and change the ports and have it listen to the 2nd IP address

FACT: multiple LAMP stacks require multiple bound IP addresses
(or it requires a very convoluted configuration that is unsustainable beyond two stacks).

Public Service Announcement:
If this makes your head spin, and you haven't a clue on how to proceed, this is not the recommended solution for you. This is a completely custom configuration with no support from anyone, anywhere. You must be completely self-reliant and capable of addressing unfamiliar problems with confidence, patience, and long hours of research.

There are no control panels for such a configuration. It is all manual.
However, implemented properly, it provides great benefit in cost, stability, and protection of current and legacy assets while allowing immediate adoption of some of the latest web technologies.

By default Xampp installs into /opt directory ... . But can I Install it in /homw/user/ directory.

And , can I remove mysql , proftpd from xampp.

Please help me in this regard,

Thanking you in advance,

Best Regards,
T
trinath

Postby JKMickelson » 12. March 2007 12:00

Trinath,

This will be my last response to this thread. You have not clearly stated what you are trying to accomplish, and you have made it clear by your questions that Xampp is not the product you should be using.

Xampp only installs into /opt. Anything else is unsupported and strictly custom.

The Xampp package does not support databases other than MySQL. Whatever you add or remove from Xampp is a custom configuration.

Hint: Based on what I gathered, you are looking for an Apache, PHP 4 or 5, PostgresSql package that you can install into a number of /home/user directories. Such a package does not exist, nor will it.

You can, however, configure Apache "Virtual Hosts" to point to individual /home/user directories so that each user can login and edit their own web pages.

You will have to search elsewhere for the "how-to", such as
Google Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=apache+postgresql&btnG=Search

and these two sites:

http://www.designmagick.com/article/2/Starting-Out/Installing-PostgreSQL
and
http://www.designmagick.com/article/3/Starting-Out/Installing-PHP

Again, you will really want to research "Virtual Hosts" and learn how to use this feature of Apache.
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-apache-virtual-sites.html

Good Luck!
JK
JKMickelson

Return to XAMPP for Linux