Best linux Version

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Best linux Version

Postby todda » 26. February 2007 09:37

What is the best linux version to use with xampp
todda

Postby JKMickelson » 26. February 2007 21:29

The nice thing about XAMPP is that it is self-contained. It works well on all current versions of linux.

The generic answer is:

The best linux to use is the one you are most comfortable working with.

If you don't already have a preference, I would recommend Fedora Core because of the support community. A large number of people are very experienced with Fedora and are willing to answer questions. There are numerous tutorials available for Fedora.

I am using Fedora Core 6 and OpenSUSE 10.2 (server and desktop, respectively).

Note: because you asked for "the best linux," you will get a wide variety of opinions. I am not saying Fedora is the best linux. XAMPP will work as expected on all the linux versions I am aware of. Fedora is a simply a good place to start.

I am sure you will hear about Ubuntu, CentOS, Gentoo, and the BSD variants. One reason for the variations is that each version meets a particular need better.

Fedora Core tends to be the latest, cutting edge version. Nice for using new technology, but not necessarily for long-term enterprise stability.
CentOS, on the other hand, tends to be a year behind the latest technology, but it is very stable for enterprise use.

A lot of the web hosting companies that I talk with have been moving from Fedora to CentOS for long term stability.

I like OpenSUSE for the desktop because it makes it easier for Windows users to transition over to Linux. But I would not use it as a preferred linux server.

Todda, I, too, would like to know what linux versions other XAMPP users prefer and why.
JKMickelson

Postby kulgan » 27. February 2007 21:34

I'm on Ubuntu and Fedora Core 6 most of the time, but I only use Ubuntu with xampp, as the IDE I use for php - ZDE - messes up the effects in Fedora Core, making it a little less fun to work in. No wobbly windows and the likes. Unless you use ZDE :/ FC is a great OS, and nice to use once you get used to certain oddities...

Never really tried suse, though I think I have an installation cd somewhere...
kulgan

Return to XAMPP for Linux