Move xampp installation on remote directory (no root access)

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Move xampp installation on remote directory (no root access)

Postby parikhjn » 19. January 2007 01:49

I have xampp installed on my Linux machine and it seems to be working fine. I want to move my installation (the /opt directory) to a remote directory ( that is mounted on a remote nfs server where data get backed up automatically). I don't have root access to the server, but I can write to it with my username.

Can someone help me out on changes should I make to the config files so that I can run xampp as root but on the remote server ?

I tried moving my files to the remote server and making a /opt symbolic link to the remote directory. I also changed the my.cnf file to create the mysql.sock file on a local root writable directory, but I cannot connect to the mysql server if it is not located on /opt.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
parikhjn

Postby xnemesis » 19. January 2007 04:50

My suggestion is reinstall it into the new location. Then copy any files across (such as webpages). Then reconfigure, this is when you should be comparing both configuration files (old location and new location) and making changes accordingly.
If you proceed to move it manually you will most likely encounter many problems, and as it has not been installed in the method instructed you will most likely struggle for support.

Hope this helps
xnemesis

Postby parikhjn » 19. January 2007 05:25

The installation instructions at the xampp website
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#377
state that I should be root while doing the installation.

I do not have access to the remote directory as root. Can I install it as a another user ?
parikhjn

Postby xnemesis » 19. January 2007 15:38

I am unsure if you can install it as a user other than root, but you cannot run it as a user other than root. To use xampp you must have root access. If you cannot get root access, I suggest trying another *ampp package or building and compiling the packages from scratch (it's not that hard)
xnemesis

Return to XAMPP for Linux