Confused After Install - What's Next?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Confused After Install - What's Next?

Postby Gamzarme » 30. December 2006 22:56

Hey.
I've just installed and started XAMPP under Linux (of course) and it started up alright. I have it installed and started on a computer sitting on my network on top of a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10.
So, my question is this: what do I do to view the testing page? On another computer do I enter in 192.168.1.80:80 and it should work?

Edit: Also, when I get to the test page, won't I be able to configure the server from another computer in my network using a browser? XAMPP is set up on a server install of Ubuntu 5.10.

I'm sorry, I'm quite new to the Linux scene in general. Please reply if you need me to be more clear in my question. Thanks for your help in advance. =)

-Patrick
Last edited by Gamzarme on 31. December 2006 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Gamzarme

Postby Zaba » 31. December 2006 11:23

On fresh install, "localhost" as URL should work.
Zaba

Found the Solution

Postby Gamzarme » 31. December 2006 18:36

Here's a reply I got on another forum, just in case someone needs it in the future:

Littleweseth wrote:Blantantly plagiarising from http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...p/t-15057.html ;

mendicant
February 14th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Look in /etc/network/interfaces

For a static IP address, you need a stanza like:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

So, to set static IP : open up the /etc/network/interfaces file with sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces and change the first three lines to look like the above - you problably want to leave the other three lines alone, as they will have been autodetected for your network.

Re testing your server : you could go to the server itself and browse to http://localhost to test apache - use firefox if you have it, or you can install one of the text browsers like lynx, links or elinks. If you want to test php, make a test file in your webroot;

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

save the file with a .php extension and browse to it. If all is working well, you'll get the giant phpinfo() page, telling you everything you want to know about your php install and then some. If PHP isn't working, then you will actually see the contents of the file.
Gamzarme

Return to XAMPP for Linux