Why is there no php-cgi in XAMPP?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Why is there no php-cgi in XAMPP?

Postby alex_sh » 03. October 2006 15:09

The absence of php-cgi makes XAMPP absolutely unusable for me. Since there is no way to really secure php without cgi (I don't want people to randomly fopen() each others' files and read their passwords), I decided to use mod_cgid as a sensible tradeoff between speed and usability.
Well, now I'm stuck - there are no instructions on how XAMPP is built, so I cannot build a reliable php-cgi binary to integrate with XAMPP, and there is no php-cgi binary in XAMPP for Linux itself (there's only a php-cli binary).
Could someone help me please? I really need it and it would be a shame to turn XAMPP down because of this.
alex_sh

Postby Wiedmann » 03. October 2006 15:18

(I don't want people to randomly fopen() each others' files and read their passwords),

You can use open_basedir for this issue.

there are no instructions on how XAMPP is built,

IMHO you can find some infos in the devel package.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby alex_sh » 03. October 2006 18:35

Wiedmann wrote:You can use open_basedir for this issue.

It helps, but you cannot really rely on such solutions - you have to have different users for virtual hosts for reliable setup.

there are no instructions on how XAMPP is built,

IMHO you can find some infos in the devel package.

Hmm, there are some files in the "build" directory, but they seem to be apache-related, not php. I can't find the info about the environment in which php is built. Besides, I can't emulate the exact environment that XAMPP uses - all versions of system libraries and the compiler should be exactly the same.

Anyway, the reason why XAMPP doesn't provide the php-cgi binary still escapes me.

Well, thanks for your reply anyway.
alex_sh

Postby Wiedmann » 04. October 2006 00:22

you have to have different users for virtual hosts for reliable setup.

You know:
XAMPP is an environment for local web development (not for production use). And in this case, you have no different users ;-)

Anyway, the reason why XAMPP doesn't provide the php-cgi binary still escapes me.

Me too.. (I have ask this question internal months ago without an answer) But I don't use (XAMPP for) Linux, so I have not such a problem ;-)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Linux