wildcard subdomains

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

wildcard subdomains

Postby markh666 » 16. September 2006 04:17

Hi all,
I need some help to setup wildcard subdomains.
I have set up a linux server [1st time]at my home & installed xampp ok.
I am using dynamic dns through dnsexit.com & i have setup the dns server for wildcard subdomains ok.
My domain name is ineed-info.com
My server is still called localhost & i urgently need help.
I now need to config the apache2 server & i am totally confused with the httpconfig file.
Can someone give me the syntax to set up *subdomains?
Do i need to change name from localhost to ineed-info.com?
What files do i need to change?
Thanks in anticipation
Mark :oops: :?: :oops:
markh666

Postby Wiedmann » 16. September 2006 06:30

If you are not using vhosts, there is nothing to configure in Apache. Just let the dyndns service point to your IP and it works.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

wildcard subdomains

Postby markh666 » 16. September 2006 10:31

Could you please explain difference of a wildcard subdomain compared to vhost? [I thought they are the same :? ]
I will be using special blogging program & i need to be able to create subdomains "on the fly".
The program requires to be in the root directory or a subdomain.
I want to install to a subdomain & use the root directory for other stuff.
Any help is appreciated.

Other question:
Why cant i see the site on the lan by using its name eg: ineed-info.com but i can when i use its ip number 192.168.7.8?
Is this also why i cant get to a subdomain from lan when using address like blogs.192.168.7.8 or even blogs.ineed-info.com
Thanks
markh666

Postby Wiedmann » 16. September 2006 12:06

Could you please explain difference of a wildcard subdomain compared to vhost? [I thought they are the same]

If you have no vhosts in Apache, Apache accepts all hostnames the browser use in the host header during the connection and deliver allways the content from the one master server. The same with ip-based vhosts.
--> in this case there is nothing to do in the Apache config.

With more then one namebased vhosts, we have another situation. Now Apache compare the host header with the vhost ServerName. And if he don't find a correct ServerName, he deliver the content from the 1st vhost.
--> in this case you can use ServerAlias if a vhost have more then one name (and also *.).

And that was my question. Are you using vhosts and what is your current configuration?

Why cant i see the site on the lan by using its name eg: ineed-info.com but i can when i use its ip number 192.168.7.8?

Your browser ask the dns server for the ip and get something like 202.xxx.xxx.xxx. This is your WAN/internet IP and not your LAN ip.
--> inside your LAN and with a NAT router you must use the LAN ip for the connections.
--> you need your own dns server for the lan, that answer with the lan ip.

when using address like blogs.192.168.7.8 ...

That is not a valid ip address.

or even blogs.ineed-info.com

See the answer before. Your browser get the wrong ip for this name (inside the lan).
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

wildcard subdomains

Postby markh666 » 20. September 2006 06:47

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.... I thought i understood :oops:
But obviously i dont cause i still cant get to the subdomains.
I created the VirtualHost settings in the config file & they are still not resolving from the internet.
Any chance of you giving me the correct syntax to add for the vhost?

I will post my non-working version after work today..... 8)
Thanks
markh666

Return to XAMPP for Linux