running XAMPP in a secondary IP address

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

running XAMPP in a secondary IP address

Postby rrodrigueznt » 16. April 2006 12:20

Hi all,

Sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be able to post any question in german... by now! Thanks for accepting my English.

As a Novell Netware user for more than one decade I'm now a bit lost in this movement toward Linux. But happy to try to join this great FOSS family!

I'm currently running a handfull of Linux boxes. All of them SuSE. One of them is a SuSE Linux Enterprise Server including PHP 4.3.4. I do need PHP 5.x running in this box. In the recent past I've learnt not to mess with the default Netware Apache instances if I want them keeping running!

So, a colleague from the suse-linex-e email list has proposed me to install XAMPP. And it seems to me a great advice!

But, could it possible to bind XAMPP to a secondary IP address at the server trying to avoid any interference with the already installed Apache, MySQL and PHP stuff?

Thank you so much for your help,

Ricardo
rrodrigueznt

Postby Oswald » 16. April 2006 18:40

Dear Ricardo!

Yes, it is possible to bind XAMPP's Apache, MySQL (and ProFTPD) to another IP address, but it will be some work.

Apache

You've to change the Listen directive in /opt/lampp/etc/httpd.conf and /opt/lampp/etc/extra/httpd-ssl.conf.

MySQL

Add the following line to them [mysqld] section in /opt/lampp/etc/my.cnf:

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

Where 127.0.0.1 should be your second IP address.

ProFTPD

As far I remember /opt/lampp/etc/proftpd.conf knows a Bind directive, but to make sure please take a look into the ProFTPD documentation.

XAMPP

You also need to make some changes to /opt/lampp/lampp to let XAMPP start while running other Apache and MySQL daemons.

Many greetings and good luck
Oswald
Oswald
Apache Friends

Operating System: Linux

Return to XAMPP for Linux