Extreme Portablity!!!

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Extreme Portablity!!!

Postby Mike Shepard » 18. December 2005 07:00

Just installed XAMpp for Linux on my laptop with no hard drive, and it worked like a charm! I used the Kanotix live cd, with a 256mb usb stick and the unionfs cheat. Using the unionrw=dev/sda1/union cheat, I was able to install XAMpp on the live cd and have it save the program files on the usb stick. Now I can continue my work on any computer by popping in the cd and usb stick, also save my work. Kinda a nice feature for people to complete projects at their job and home or elsewhere. Thought this might be useful to some people.
Mike Shepard

Postby simonb » 18. December 2005 12:52

sounds really usefull. So you can basically boot the laptop from the cd and then use the memory stick for the writable disk space.

Do you then move the memory stick back into a machine with a cd writer and merge all the files from cd+memory stick on to a new cd?
simonb

RE

Postby Mike Shepard » 18. December 2005 14:32

Unionrw allows you to install programs on the live cd using an alternate media (usb stick), so you could copy the pages back and forth if you would like or just leave them on the media and work from there on every computer.
Do you then move the memory stick back into a machine with a cd writer and merge all the files from cd+memory stick on to a new cd?
You can recompile the live cd but I am not experience enough to do that, so this works perfectly, you could then install your favorite web design program (if you use one) like quanta or bluefish. Later
Mike Shepard

Return to XAMPP for Linux