mysql not executable from command line

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql not executable from command line

Postby cowbalt » 17. June 2005 09:43

Hey dudes,

I'm having a slight problem. The installtion of Xampp went fine but when I open the shell, go to /opt/lampp/bin/ I can't run any command in there.

e.g. "mysqlshow"or something, gives the following error message:

"bash: mysqlshow: command not found".

The same counts for all the other commands.

Did the installtion as written in the manual, logged in as su, root, doesnt mind.

Has somebody have any ideas on this.

Regards,
Martyn
cowbalt

Postby Dave_L » 17. June 2005 13:03

When running a linux script or binary from the shell, if the file you're running is not in the PATH environment variable, you have to specify the path. I think it's a security feature.

Examples:

$ /opt/lampp/bin/mysqlshow

$ cd /opt/lampp/bin
$ ./mysqlshow
Dave_L

How to tell linux that I want to use Xampp mysql

Postby movil » 13. October 2005 16:56

$ mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I got mysql running:
http://localhost/phpmyadmin goes just fine.

I stopped debian mysql daemon to get launched at the start. So I 'm letting only the XAMPP mysql to start.
But it seems the path to the mysqld.sock is wrong, Anyone nows how to change this ?

http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/docs/app_faq.html

Q. I just installed Jabberd 2 stable 3. Why do I get errors stating that the database connection to MySQL failed?
A. Jabberd 2 stable 3 connects to the MySQL server socket at /tmp/mysql.sock. The default socket when installing MySQL from source is /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. You will need to create a symlink to /tmp/mysql.sock if it does not exist:

ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
movil

Return to XAMPP for Linux