HOWTO - Upgrade/Update any component of XAMPP

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

HOWTO - Upgrade/Update any component of XAMPP

Postby opedroso@swoptimizer.com » 11. May 2005 10:42

Due to needs outside my control (my PHP IDE provider debug modules availability) I can not use the PHP version currently included in a XAMPP installation and have to downgrade PHP.
I have found instructions in the forum on how to do it for MySQL, but it would be nice to have a single thread on replacing any XAMPP component.
It would be even nicer if, after integration, I could package this modified XAMPP for internal use.
Lets start with PHP, please.
PS: Great package, by the way. The best!
opedroso@swoptimizer.com

Postby rickh57 » 11. May 2005 13:08

What version of XAMPP are you using? It includes both current versions of PHP PHP 5.0.x and PHP 4.3.x. If you find out your PHP application doesn't work with PHP 5 you will be able to switch back easily to PHP 4.

By the following command you can switch "back" to PHP 4.3.x:
/opt/lampp/lampp php4

And with the following command you can switch back to PHP 5.0.x:
/opt/lampp/lampp php5

If you forgot which version of PHP is in use simply use phpinfo() or call this command:
/opt/lampp/lampp phpstatus

See http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
rickh57

Postby opedroso@swoptimizer.com » 11. May 2005 14:12

My code uses features of PHP 5, so I can't use PHP 4.x.

PHPed, my IDE, has support for debugging modules all the way to PHP 5.0.3, but not for the latest 5.0.4 which is the currently delivered with XAMPP 2.4.13.

I was able to find XAMPP 2.4.11 on sourceforge which has PHP 5.0.3, so my problem is resolved.

But I would like to see somewhere in the documentation how to replace a single component of XAMPP, which seems to be a recurring theme on these forums.

Thanks for such a quick answer.
opedroso@swoptimizer.com

Return to XAMPP for Linux