phpmyadmin wont accept new password

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpmyadmin wont accept new password

Postby snipes420 » 15. April 2005 04:45

i changed my mysql user's (pma) password and now i cant access phpmyadmin with the new password.
I cant even access phpmyadmin as root user. :(

this is the error i get when i try to login.

Code: Select all
#1045 - Access denied for user 'pma'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I get that error even if i try to log in as root.
I changed the password with the phpmyadmin interface and then edited my webpages to use the new password and the webpages that use the new password can access it just fine.

has anyone had this problem before?
what can i do to try to fix this problem?

thank you for any help/ideas
snipes420

Postby Dave_L » 15. April 2005 05:32

Changing that password is a little tricky, since phpMyAdmin needs that user account to access MySQL.

Did you change the password both in MySQL (using phpMyAdmin), and also in phpmyadmin/config.inc.php?

If you messed it up, you can always restore the password by running the shell mysql command as the MySQL root user.

But when you say "edited my webpages to use the new password", I don't understand. The "pma" user account is only for phpMyAdmin's internal use.
Dave_L

Postby snipes420 » 15. April 2005 06:07

I was using the pma account as the user for a database.
I did some looking around and found the the old password was still set in the file you mentioned, config.inc.php in the /opt/lampp/phpmyadmin folder.

so its all sorted out now.

i am going to move that database to a new user now that i know this is how the phpmyadmin works in xampp

thanks for your rely :)
snipes420

Postby tristanlee85 » 16. October 2005 03:22

I ran into the same problem. I'm trying to make the user 'admin' and a password as well. I edited to config.inc.php file, but what command must I run to add the user 'admin' and the password to the MySQL database?
tristanlee85

Postby tristanlee85 » 16. October 2005 03:39

I'm logging into
Code: Select all
http://[my IP]/phpmyadmin/
using the username as pma and it's password that I set earlier. It logs in successfully. I want to create a new database, but it's telling me that I don't have privileges. How do I make a new database?
tristanlee85

Return to XAMPP for Linux