403 Error | Symbolic Link

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

403 Error | Symbolic Link

Postby Miala » 04. May 2024 18:42

Hello,
I have created a symbolic link from htdocs/mi to /media/miala/3410D5D510D59E64/Users/Miala/Documents/Prog/Web/.mi/ and when I go to localhost/mi, I have this message:
Code: Select all
Accès interdit!

Vous n'avez pas le droit d'accéder à l'objet demandé. Soit celui-ci est protégé, soit il ne peut être lu par le serveur.

Si vous pensez qu'il s'agit d'une erreur du serveur, veuillez contacter le webmestre.
Error 403
localhost
Apache/2.4.56 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.1.1t PHP/8.2.4 mod_perl/2.0.12 Perl/v5.34.1

How to resolve that ?
Miala

XAMPP version: 8.2.4-0
Operating System: Kubuntu

Re: 403 Error | Symbolic Link

Postby Nobbie » 04. May 2024 22:08

Miala wrote:How to resolve that ?

You have to grant proper rights to /media/miala/3410D5D510D59E64/Users/Miala/Documents/Prog/Web/.mi/ for the Apache User (the User which is running Apache, determined by the setting of "User" in httpd.conf). As /media/miala seems to be a portable device, it may be difficult or even impossible to access it with a different UserId than Miala. You have to edit and configure the mount options for that device. You cannot override mount options via chmod or chown command. Thats a plain Linux issue. Probably already /media/miala might be unaccessible for the Apache User (i.e. www-data or similar). You have to grant proper access for ALL subdirectories of /media/miala as well.

Instead of creating a symbolic link it may be better to copy the contents of that device to a fixed harddisk (i.e. a subfolder of htdocs). Apache is not mentioned to access USB sticks or similar.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux