XAMPP works in Linux Mint but gives errors in Fedora

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP works in Linux Mint but gives errors in Fedora

Postby lemathos » 10. April 2024 01:14

Hi, I'm new to XAMPP. I've got two laptops, one running Linux Mint 23.1 (based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS) and one running Fedora 39. I downloaded the exact same installer on both machines: xampp-linux-x64-8.2.12-0-installer.run.

After installation, everything works perfectly on the Linux Mint machine. I tried the commands to start and stop XAMPP as well as launching the graphical tool from the FAQs for Linux page, and everything works.

On the Fedora machine, however, I get the following error message when attempting to start or stop XAMPP:
Code: Select all
egrep: warning: egrep is obsolescent; using grep -E
XAMPP is currently only availably as 32 bit application. Please use a 32 bit compatibility library for your system.

I searched the forum before posting and I found a couple of previous posts from other users with the same error message, however I didn't see any post that had a solution for it. I'm particularly confused by the "only available as 32 bit application" message, since I used the 64 bit installer on a 64 bit operating system.

Launching the graphical tool in Fedora does work, but attempting to start the servers that way gives a different error. When I click the start button on the Manage Servers tab, the Apache Web Server dot turns briefly from red to orange, but then goes back to red again. Under the Application log tab, the message is as follows:
Starting Apache Web Server...
Exit code: 8
Stdout:
apache config test fails, aborting
Stderr:
/opt/lampp/bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since everything works fine on Mint, I'm assuming the issue is something with Fedora, rather than with XAMPP itself or the installer. But I can't figure it out. Has anyone solved this error on Fedora, or have any suggestions?

Many thanks!
lemathos

XAMPP version: 8.2.12
Operating System: Linux

SOLVED: XAMPP works in Linux Mint but gives errors in Fedora

Postby lemathos » 12. April 2024 17:40

I kept on searching for a solution for this issue, and I found one! It was actually given as a fix for an Arch Linux user getting the same error message ("error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory") but the fix worked for me in Fedora too. So I'm sharing it here in case it might be helpful to anyone else reading.

The fix is to install the package libxcrypt-compat. So in Fedora the comand is
sudo dnf install libxcrypt-compat

Once I installed that package, I was able to start and stop XAMPP successfully, both from the command line and using the graphical tool.
lemathos

XAMPP version: 8.2.12
Operating System: Linux

Return to XAMPP for Linux