XAMPP control panel python

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP control panel python

Postby measter » 18. July 2021 17:12

I don't usually post in web forums, so please excuse any of my slipups. I usually use newsgroups.

Problem: from the xampp CP readme:

To run the XAMPP Control Panel, you will need:
Linux (may work on other OSs)
GTK 2.x
PyGTK (also known as python-gtk) 2.x
XAMPP

Setup: My target goal is to make a WordPress on a stick where the underlying OS is Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 (which is based on Ub 20.04 LTS ie Focal Fossa repo/s) running live w/ persistence USB created by mkusb. I have only gotten as far as installing XAMPP 8.0.8 using the apachefriends .run file, but I haven't yet installed the bitnami WP module .run because my xampp isn't perfectly operational. After I get this xampp situation corrected, I will also establish proper credentials for user & admin which are missing in the default persistent live.

I can use the xampp to stop and start the 3 servers apache, mysql, & ftp; and I can start the xampp manager whose titlebar is xampp 8.0.8-0, but its Get Started button doesn't do anything. I can't access the control-panel CP. If I try to use the command line on xampp-control-panel.py, I get a python error.

Since the CP seems to need py2, I installed that, but its gtk module is missing.

$ python2 xampp-control-panel.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "xampp-control-panel.py", line 18, in <module>
import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

$ pip --version
pip 20.0.2 from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip (python 3.8)

$ python3 --version
Python 3.8.10

$ python2 --version
Python 2.7.18

It seems to me that xampp is 'designed' to be a py2 operation, not py3. I don't have the experience to deal w/ environment issues. I don't think using the pip3 is to install a gtk module in py3 is going to help my py2 gtk problem which must be the missing PyGTK (also known as python-gtk) 2.x
measter

XAMPP version: 8.0.8-0
Operating System: LnxMint 20.2 ker5.4

Re: XAMPP control panel python

Postby Nobbie » 19. July 2021 13:23

measter wrote:I don't usually post in web forums, so please excuse any of my slipups. I usually use newsgroups.

Problem: from the xampp CP readme:

Where did you find that? My Xampp 8.0.8 Linux Installation neither comes with a CP, nor with a readme. I am starting Xampp in a shell as shown in the FAQ: https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html

P.S.: With the help of Google i found the share folder and the xampp-control-panel folder. That is super duper old (from 2009), its release 0.6 (what means no production) and has not been maintained since 12 years. Forget about that, Bitnami does not maintain it and it is not mentioned in the FAQ. Use the lampp script instead.
Nobbie

Postby measter » 19. July 2021 15:46

Nobbie wrote:P.S.: With the help of Google i found the share folder and the xampp-control-panel folder. That is super duper old (from 2009), its release 0.6 (what means no production) and has not been maintained since 12 years. Forget about that, Bitnami does not maintain it and it is not mentioned in the FAQ. Use the lampp script instead.

Yes the CP stuff is old and No it isn't mentioned in the faq. So you are saying the CP is now deprecated (for linux?) in favor of just using the manager which has a title bar xampp 8.0.8-0 and there is no more CP? I assumed that if you click the Get Started button the CP was supposed to open. On my xampp manager clicking get started does nothing.

I don't like to quote YT vids because I usually hate that resource, but I see a 2019 YT w/ the XAMPP CP open and the title bar says XAMPP Control Panel 3.2.4 (compiled June 30, 2019). The CP seems to have some features beyond that of the manager. Presumably the CP is built from the 2009 glade file also in that CP dir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWspDNIonM

In case links aren't permitted, here's a .jpg of the 2019 CP https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kGCYfA9K0xk/hqdefault.jpg
measter

Postby Nobbie » 19. July 2021 16:27

Your Youtube Video relates to the WINDOWS Xampp CP. Thats not the Python Control Panel (its a Delphi Script, as far as i know).

Actually, you may want to do what you like, you asked for help, i told you that this CP is not maintained anymore, but of course you may do what you want. Actually there is a GUI in Linux, it is the "manager-linux-x64.run" as it is mentioned in the FAQ as well. Its on you to decide where to go. I simply answered your question.

On my xampp manager clicking get started does nothing.

Of course not, as you have to start the manager with elevated rights using "sudo", as the FAQ tells you. Why dont you read the FAQ and/or why do you ignore it?
Nobbie

Postby measter » 19. July 2021 17:34

Nobbie wrote:you have to start the manager

Yes I know; I meant in the graphical manager there is a button 'Get Started'. I tho't that was supposed to be to open the CP.

I did read the faq before I installed. I also have looked for any info in such as 8.0.8 release notes that says the CP for linux has been disabled. Thanks for your help.
measter

Postby Nobbie » 20. July 2021 11:19

measter wrote: I also have looked for any info in such as 8.0.8 release notes that says the CP for linux has been disabled.

Have you ever seen release notes saying that CP for linux has been enabled? By the way, it is not DISABLED. It is not maintained, its on you to get it running. I think it runs in a 12 years old environment. But it has never been recommended.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux