Apache won't start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache won't start

Postby StephenGlynn » 06. December 2004 00:42

I've just installed XAMPP on my machine at home (Windows XP). The installation seems to have gone OK, but when I try to start Apache I keep on getting the error message

(0510048) only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network/address/port) is normally permitted. :makesoc could not bond to address 0.0.0.0:433. No listening sockets available, shutting down.

I'm sure nothing else is running. I've completely uninstalled all previous versions of Apache and I don't have IIS (or whatever the Microsoft thing's called) on the computer as far as I know.

Please help!
StephenGlynn

Re: Apache won't start

Postby MacDaddy » 06. December 2004 02:11

StephenGlynn wrote:I've just installed XAMPP on my machine at home (Windows XP). The installation seems to have gone OK, but when I try to start Apache I keep on getting the error message

(0510048) only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network/address/port) is normally permitted. :makesoc could not bond to address 0.0.0.0:433. No listening sockets available, shutting down.

I'm sure nothing else is running. I've completely uninstalled all previous versions of Apache and I don't have IIS (or whatever the Microsoft thing's called) on the computer as far as I know.

Please help!

you still have a service running on port 80 probably your old Apache uninstall it as a service and then start XAMPP
MacDaddy

Postby StephenGlynn » 06. December 2004 10:49

I realise something that's running must be causing the problem but I can't work out. I've already uninstalled the previous version of Apache (which was working OK with whatever else was running). Here's the list of services I've got running -- which is likely to be causing the trouble?

Name Status
Application Layer Gateway Service Started
ASP.NET Admin Service Started
Automatic Updates Started
avast! Antivirus Started
avast! iAVS4 Control Service Started
avast! Mail Scanner Started
AVG6 Service Started
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Started
COM+ Event System Started
Cryptographic Services Started
DCOM Server Process Launcher Started
DHCP Client Started
Distributed Link Tracking Client Started
DNS Client Started
EPSON Printer Status Agent2 Started
Error Reporting Service Started
Event Log Started
Fast User Switching Compatibility Started
Help and Support Started
Indexing Service Started
IPSEC Services Started
Network Connections Started
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Started
NVIDIA Display Driver Service Started
Plug and Play Started
Print Spooler Started
Protected Storage Started
Remote Access Connection Manager Started
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started
Secondary Logon Started
Security Accounts Manager Started
Security Center Started
Server Started
Shell Hardware Detection Started
SSDP Discovery Service Started
Sygate Personal Firewall Started
System Event Notification Started
System Restore Service Started
Task Scheduler Started
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Started
Telephony Started
Terminal Services Started
Themes Started
WebClient Started
Windows Audio Started
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Started
Windows Management Instrumentation Started
0 Automatic
Wireless Zero Configuration Started
Workstation Started
StephenGlynn

Postby Derianur » 06. December 2004 10:55

I get the same message and yet I am sure I don't have any service running since I use win98 at home :) When I run it on my other PC (Win Xp) everything works fine but not on the win98 machine! When I start "phpdev" with older version of apache/1.3.7 I think/ it works ok.

So does anyone know the reason I get this message? I am really stuck! Please, help!
Derianur

Postby MacDaddy » 06. December 2004 13:06

Derianur wrote:I get the same message and yet I am sure I don't have any service running since I use win98 at home :) When I run it on my other PC (Win Xp) everything works fine but not on the win98 machine! When I start "phpdev" with older version of apache/1.3.7 I think/ it works ok.

So does anyone know the reason I get this message? I am really stuck! Please, help!

'
you cant install any sevices on win 98 thay dont work you will have to manualy start it evey time
MacDaddy

Postby MacDaddy » 06. December 2004 13:09

StephenGlynn im not sure try stopping ASP.NET Admin Service and Indexing Service and retry installing Apache as a service
MacDaddy

Postby StephenGlynn » 06. December 2004 15:28

Thanks. Shutting down ASP.NET Admin Service and Indexing Service didn't fix it, but eventually I shut down everything I wasn't certain I needed and got it to work that way.

It now seems to run OK. I tried running xampp_startup.exe at start-up, since I was worried about whatever was causing the problem starting automatically and causing trouble again. I got an error message about it not being able to find owner/mysql/share/eemsq.sys or install\start.html but I just waited or startup to finish and ran exampp_startup.exe manually. I've now put start_without_browser.exe on start-up and I'll see what happens next time I reboot.

Certainly looks a fun suite of programmes. I particularly like the idea of being able to switch between php4 and php5, though I've not played with that yet.
StephenGlynn

Postby Derianur » 06. December 2004 16:04

you cant install any sevices on win 98 thay dont work you will have to manualy start it evey time

Exactly my point! I said I don' t have any services running since I am running win98 and yet I get the erorr message every time! (or a similar one)
Derianur

Postby StephenGlynn » 06. December 2004 18:19

Are you sure that you don't have anything running that could be interfering with XAMPP? See my post above in this thread -- I stopped (and in some cases had uninstalled) everything that looked as if it might be causing the problem. Eventually I used Control-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager, clicked the process tab and shut down everything that I didn't need --ICQ, mailwasher, firewall etc. Something seems to have done the trick (I rather regret that I didn't shut things down one at a time so I could see what was causing the problem but I lost patience after a while).

I suspect -- and it's no more than an idea -- that my firewall may have had something to do with the problem since during the installation process XAMPP tried to find a port it could use and my firewall blocked it because obvously it didn't know what XAMPP was.

I wonder whether if even though when the firewall told me what had happened I told it XAMPP was allowed to access the internet this had somehow messed up the installation so XAMPP wouldn't open Apache for me.

As I say, that's just a hunch. Anyone know any more about it?
StephenGlynn

Postby StephenGlynn » 06. December 2004 21:49

Attn Derianur --

I'd asked on microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support how to find out what's using a particular port and someone came up with the following useful suggestion, which might help. I don't know if the commands are available in Windows 98, but anyway...

Make a note of the local address that XAMPP's trying to connect to but can't.

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When that opens, type:

netstat -ano

Hit the Enter key.

Look under the Local Address column for that number.

Look under the PID column for the PID number.

Open the task manager (alt-control-delete or you could use tasklist /svc at the command prompt in XP Professional). You may need to click on View-Select Columns to make the PID column visible. Look down the list for the PID number and you'll see what process is stopping XAMPP from connecting.

HTH
StephenGlynn

Postby Derianur » 07. December 2004 09:13

StephenGlynn wrote:Are you sure that you don't have anything running that could be interfering with XAMPP?

Almost :)

I don't have a firewall running or any other communication application. However I stoppped almost all programs and still it won't work so I don't see what could occupy that port /443/.. unless it is some hidden process.

I didn't have the time to look deeper into it so I didn't check it with the netstat command but that is a good idea, thanks!

I'll let you know if it worked!
Derianur

Return to XAMPP for Windows