Newbie requests help getting started

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Newbie requests help getting started

Postby rdh » 07. November 2004 19:17

Hello

I'm starting out with XAMPP ...

Whenever I try to run the CD Collection demo, I get:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) in C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 65

Could not connect to database!
Is MySQL running or did you change the password?

I've noticed that Status shows MySQL database is deactivated. Assuming this is what is preventing the demo from running, could someone please tell how to activate MsSQL?

BTW - Status also shows that SMTP Service and FTP Service are also both deactivated. Should these also be activated? In which case, could you please tell me how to do this too?

Thanks
rdh

Postby JonathanS » 07. November 2004 19:41

FTP and SMTP shouldn't be activated unless
you start them both (FileZilla and Mercury, respectively) seperately.

MySQL is also started seperately from Apache, so
look for the 'mysql_start.bat' file in the main folder of the XAMPP install.
JonathanS

Postby rdh » 07. November 2004 21:44

Many thanks for your reply.

When I run mysql_start.bat, the last line displayed is "MySQL is starting with mysql\bin\my.cnf (console)" with the flashing cursor below, but Status still shows the MySQL database is deactivated.

Any more ideas?
rdh

Postby JonathanS » 07. November 2004 21:45

Did you try to clear your browser's catche and refresh?
If so, I'm not entirely sure...

<edited>I feel so stupid not to ask, but by any
chance are you using http://localhost/ or https://localhost/ ?</edited>
JonathanS

Postby rdh » 07. November 2004 22:55

JonathanS wrote:Did you try to clear your browser's catche and refresh?
If so, I'm not entirely sure...

I did so on at least one occassion, so I don't think that's the cause of the problem. I'm inclined to think it is probably related to my firewall. The FAQ says XAMPP uses a firewall, which I presume is meant to mean that it makes use of a firewall, if one installed.

On one ocassion I got: "Mysql shutdown ... mysql\bin\mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)' Check that mysql is running on localhost and that the port is 3306. You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'"

Running telnet localhost 3306 produced: "Connecting To localhost ... Could not open connection to the host, or port 3306. No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Naturally, I prefer to have my firewall on, when accessing the Internet. So I turned it off, when offline and then started XAMPP then tried to get MySQL working. I'm still trying to figure out how to open ports 80 and 3306 for internal connections (as instructed in the FAQ) as I'm not yet familiar with the more complicated vagaries of my firewall. The FAQ says to configure my browser "to go around local addresses", but I don't really know how to do that either. As you've probably gathered, I'm on a bit of a steep learning curve here, so would naturally appreciate any further help that is offered.

JonathanS wrote:<edited>I feel so stupid not to ask, but by any
chance are you using http://localhost/ or https://localhost/ ?</edited>

I've tried both 127.0.0.1 and localhost (as instructed by the FAQ) but not https. Which should I be using?

BTW - I won't be able to carry out any further experimentation with XAMPP until tomorrow now, but would welcome your (or anyone else's) additional comments.

Thanks again for your help.
rdh

Postby taustin » 08. November 2004 00:23

rdh wrote:Naturally, I prefer to have my firewall on, when accessing the Internet. So I turned it off, when offline and then started XAMPP then tried to get MySQL working. I'm still trying to figure out how to open ports 80 and 3306 for internal connections (as instructed in the FAQ) as I'm not yet familiar with the more complicated vagaries of my firewall. The FAQ says to configure my browser "to go around local addresses", but I don't really know how to do that either. As you've probably gathered, I'm on a bit of a steep learning curve here, so would naturally appreciate any further help that is offered.

What firewall are you using?
taustin

Postby JonathanS » 08. November 2004 01:23

No, no; Just I think it says something like 'Warning these are NOT valid if using https://"

For the most part, I didn't pay attention and had to go back and look;
just wondering if it was not only me who skipped past it :lol:

As for the firewall, IMHO shouldn't be interfering;
What O/S are you running? If XP, does it have SP2 installed?

More on the firewall isssue, I have Sygate Personal Free edition,
and it works perfectly. Except when I run the 'xampp_start.exe' or
'start_without_browser.exe' file, it askes if I want to allow connections to
Apache and so forth. (For some odd reason if I use the .EXE files to start, the firewall won't pick up on it).

So far SYF hasn't interferred with running the stuff.
JonathanS

Postby rdh » 08. November 2004 08:10

taustin wrote:What firewall are you using?

ZoneAlarm Pro
rdh

Postby rdh » 08. November 2004 08:28

JonathanS wrote:What O/S are you running?

XP Pro.
JonathanS wrote: If XP, does it have SP2 installed?

No ...

If there's an issue between SP2 and XAMPP then I could install the latter on my notebook PC, which does have SP2 installed, however it would be more convenient to use it on my desktop PC.

BTW - Since I downloaded and installed XAMPP, I've discovered that O'Reilly's 'PHP and MySQL' book by Williams & Lane recommends EasyPHP as "the best integrated Apache, PHP and MySQL package for Microsoft Windows ...". Any comments, anyone?
rdh

Postby JonathanS » 08. November 2004 17:07

Which package did you download? Regular or lite?
Whichever one, was it EXE, ZIP, or Self-extracting ZIP?

If it was say Zip or extracting zip, try the regular install one.
If it was Zip or extracting zip, try running setup_xampp.bat

Maybe it can't find its "path" (which I think setup_xampp.bat does).
As for EasyPHP, no idea; prior to XAMPP, I stayed away from "Apache/PHP/MySQL" packages.
JonathanS

Postby rdh » 08. November 2004 19:50

JonathanS wrote:Which package did you download? Regular or lite?
Whichever one, was it EXE, ZIP, or Self-extracting ZIP?

If it was say Zip or extracting zip, try the regular install one.
If it was Zip or extracting zip, try running setup_xampp.bat

Maybe it can't find its "path" (which I think setup_xampp.bat does).

xampp-win32-1.4.9-installer.exe 20,951 KB

I'll try re-installing it.

JonathanS wrote:As for EasyPHP, no idea; prior to XAMPP, I stayed away from "Apache/PHP/MySQL" packages.

Thanks again, for your help.

PS - I've now uninstalled XAMPP and successfully got EasyPHP installed, up and running. Maybe I'll return to XAMPP later, if needs be ...
rdh

Return to XAMPP for Windows