Apache Does Not Start in XAMPP Control Panel.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache Does Not Start in XAMPP Control Panel.

Postby WebMav » 17. January 2024 01:28

Hello.

I would like to install WordPress on my local Windows 11 workstation so I can design and try out new websites without immediately posting to an online and public hosting service.

To that end, I installed XAMPP on one of my computer's hard drives. However, the Apache module will not start. Every time I try to start Apache the log in the bottom portion of the control panel has a line that states "Attempting to start Apache service..." and nothing more. And I can't connect to my localhost using any of my browsers.

I tried to change, via the Config button, the port associated with Apache but that didn't work.

What suggestions do you have for how to fix this issue?
WebMav

XAMPP version: 8.2.12
Operating System: Windows 11

Re: Apache Does Not Start in XAMPP Control Panel.

Postby tarau » 18. January 2024 03:02

Hi, there is not enough information to suggest something specific, but I would uninstall Xampp through the Windows app uninstall process, then restart the computer and reinstall again.
This time, however, if you haven't done it earlier, stick to the default installation process.
Also, make sure you start Xampp with admin permissions.
What I usually do when I install a new instance of Xampp,
I right-click on xamp-control.exe in the Xampp folder,
then, select Properties/compatibility,
and check the box to make "run as administrator" permanent.
tarau

XAMPP version: 7.3.0
Operating System: Windows

Postby WebMav » 28. January 2024 03:35

I completely uninstalled then reinstalled XAMPP on my external USB drive. Now I am able to start MySQL from inside the XAMPP control panel, but I still can't start Apache. The log at the bottom half of the panel states "Attempting to start Apache service..." and nothing more. All this while running the XAMPP control panel as an administrator.

Any more suggestions on how to start Apache?
WebMav

Postby WebMav » 02. February 2024 09:12

My Apache still will not start through the XAMPP Control Panel, but now I think I have an idea why.

When I open the XAMPP Control Panel (always in Administrator Mode; thanks, tarau), the log section in the control panel window includes, in red,...

2:49:58 AM [Apache] Apache Service detected with wrong path
2:49:58 AM [Apache] Change XAMPP Apache and Control Panel settings or
2:49:58 AM [Apache] Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
2:49:58 AM [Apache] Found Path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Promise\Pegasus Utility\apache\bin\httpd.exe" -k runservice
2:49:58 AM [Apache] Expected Path: "i:\xampp\apache\bin\httpd.exe" -k runservice

So, Apache was already installed earlier on the startup (C:) drive of my computer. But, I'm trying to have Apache, MySQL and the rest of the XAMPP apps reside on my separate (I:) drive, because I want to use that I: drive to build my new websites offline with WordPress.

I suppose I could uninstall/remove the copy of Apache that's on the C: drive. However, given its location in the Promise and Promise Utility folders, I think my Promise Pegasus RAID drive relies on it. I need my RAID to be available at all times. Therefore, I don't really want to tamper with any files related to it, including that copy of Apache.

So, how do I instruct the XAMPP Control Panel, which I have installed on my I: drive, to ignore the version of Apache that is on my C: drive and use only the one on my I: drive?
WebMav

Postby WebMav » 04. February 2024 02:38

^.
WebMav

Postby WebMav » 04. February 2024 20:03

Following-up my earlier posts (above): Is there any way to run Apache through the XAMPP Control Panel on my I: drive while I already have Apache installed on my startup C: drive?
WebMav

Postby WebMav » 10. February 2024 21:48

I'm bumping this thread again to see if anyone can answer my question.

My Apache still will not start using XAMPP.
WebMav

Return to XAMPP for Windows