wordpress backup setup

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

wordpress backup setup

Postby clippo » 22. December 2023 15:05

Hi Folks

New here... just a quick question. My web hosting costs nearly tripled this year so I took the decision to not renew it. I made a backup of my wordpress site and now have this on my PC. It's .wpress file around 2GB in size.

I'm hoping to transfer a lot of the information off the website and use it for a different purpose.

I've installed XAMPP and got to the stage where I enter localhost/dashboard in my browser, and it takes me to the welcome to XAMPP screen.

I'm a bit lost now though... how do I get my wordpress site up and running locally? Is it a matter of dragging the file into a folder somewhere?
clippo

XAMPP version: Windows
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: wordpress backup setup

Postby Nobbie » 22. December 2023 18:27

Ask in a WordPress forum, WordPress is not part of Xampp and not supported by this forum. I know that there is a WordPress documentation about server change, you should ask for that.
Nobbie

Re: wordpress backup setup

Postby mshahrani » 24. December 2023 22:01

I don't think it's a good idea to use your personal computer as the primary host for your website. Anyway, from your question, it seems like you're using it for the first time... You should first back up your database. Then, install a copy of WordPress—search for it, and you'll find tutorials on how to install WordPress locally. Keep in mind it will only be locally. To make your site work on your device, you'll need to follow several steps, but I don't recommend this. :shock:
mshahrani

XAMPP version: 00.0
Operating System: win

Return to XAMPP for Windows