Cannot start MySQL in XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot start MySQL in XAMPP

Postby BlueMax » 18. August 2023 01:08

08:02:54 [Apache] Attempting to start Apache app...
08:02:54 [Apache] Status change detected: running
08:02:56 [mysql] Attempting to start MySQL app...
08:02:56 [mysql] Status change detected: running
08:02:57 [mysql] Status change detected: stopped
08:02:57 [mysql] Error: MySQL shutdown unexpectedly.
08:02:57 [mysql] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
08:02:57 [mysql] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
08:02:57 [mysql] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
08:02:57 [mysql] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
08:02:57 [mysql] If you need more help, copy and post this
08:02:57 [mysql] entire log window on the forums

I've been running Apache with Wordpress.org for a little while now and everything was working fine. But today I woke up and MySQL just won't start. I've done a few things and right now, I know that the port is not blocked or being used, there are no missing dependencies because I did a clean XAMPP reinstallation, I tried to run XAMPP Control Panel in Administrator mode. Weirdly if I replace the MySQL folder with a fresh one then it will work fine, but my specific MySQL folder that I've been using for the past few days won't work. I really need this to work as I've been working on the website for a while and I need keep working on it for school. If anyone need my MySQL folder then please tell me how I'll send it. Thank you very much.
BlueMax

XAMPP version: 3.3.0
Operating System: Windows 11

Re: Cannot start MySQL in XAMPP

Postby cmc » 19. August 2023 22:40

I have exactly the same problem. It was working fine yesterday, then this when I tried to start it today.
cmc

XAMPP version: 3.30
Operating System: windows 11

Postby bblake » 20. August 2023 19:47

I've seen this message more times than I would have liked. I've always eventually been able to fix it.
Try the options here as a starter: https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/xampp-mysql-shutdown-unexpectedly/
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

XAMPP version: 7.4.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby trejder » 26. August 2023 01:00

Guys, what are you talking about?

If MySQL isn't starting, but it was working just fine, wouldn't be easier to dig up the MySQL log and try to figure out what seems to be the problem?

You have the beautiful "Logs" button in "MySQL" line in XAMPP Launcher that points you to the mysql_error.log file. Why don't you use it?

What should give you (or us) pasting XAMPP logs? It tells nothing except for the fact that you MySQL fails to start. We already know that.

Your linked post is (sorry, if I offend someone) another newbie-like post that shows us THREE different ways of solving this problem. Again with guessing-like game and no logs analysis. I can tell you that during my 10+ years of XAMPP experience I encountered FIFTY different problems, error or causes for MySQL not starting up.

Always start with analysing logs. The correct ones.
trejder

Postby bblake » 28. August 2023 17:46

Hi Trejder, I think I've been using XAMPP longer than you, as part of the University Course I was teaching back in c.2007. But you are no doubt more experienced with the internals. Ideally BlueMax should have posted the logs, but you will find the post I referenced (as a 'starter') explains about the logs, and how to view them. However, since he hasn't posted again, maybe the problem is fixed. On this particular issue, the logs are sometimes of little use. There are, as you say, many other reasons and solutions as well, but failing all else a refresh/upgrade of XAMPP will do the trick!
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

XAMPP version: 7.4.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows