XAMPP 8.2.4 phpMyAdmin cannot import zip files.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 8.2.4 phpMyAdmin cannot import zip files.

Postby bblake » 09. August 2023 10:34

Hi - I am just upgrading my (hugely useful) XAMPP development/test system to 8.2.4 from 7.4. Operating system is Windows 10.
I am using phpMyAdmin to migrate the databases. I have always used zip compression for backups, but now when I try to import a backup I get this message: "You attempted to load file with unsupported compression (application/zip). Either support for it is not implemented or disabled by your configuration".
I have probably done something stupid, but a solution isn't obvious, and haven't found a solution by searching. I can export with zip compression working fine. I used the 7z download. If I manually unzip the sql file, I can then import fine, but would like to get zip imports working.
Anyone know a solution? Thanks, Brendan.
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

XAMPP version: 7.4.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: XAMPP 8.2.4 phpMyAdmin cannot import zip files.

Postby Nobbie » 09. August 2023 11:15

As there is no upgrade procedure for Xampp, you should explain precisely what you did when "upgrading from 7.4 to 8.2.4". I think your Upgrade is missing ZIP support.
Nobbie

Postby bblake » 09. August 2023 16:27

Thanks. I always start afresh as this clears out a lot of unwanted stuff. So I just unzipped the distribution using 7zip, and started Apache and mySQL from the XAMPP control panel. Apart from phpMyAdmin failing to import a zip file, everything I have tested works well. The distribution file I used was xampp-windows-x64-8.2.4-0-VS16.7z, so maybe this is missing a key component or a configuration option needs to be changed. (But remember, phpMyAdmin will compress exports to zip files, but not unpack them.)
Hence I am running what is effectively a clean installation of XAMPP. I've imported a couple of databases by unzipping manually, and some quite complex software is all running fine. I guess most people use the windows installation version, ie xampp-windows-x64-8.2.4-0-VS16-installer.exe I just go back to the time you always unpacked the distributions! Maybe I should have a go with the windows distribution file.
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

Postby Nobbie » 09. August 2023 18:25

Sorry, I cannot help you on that, i never tried the Xampp 7z package (i even didnt know that there is one). I always go for the installer.
Nobbie

Postby bblake » 09. August 2023 18:56

The problem occurs on the installer version also.
I used a different test machine, and started completely from scratch. This machine also runs windows 10 Pro.
I installed xampp taking all the defaults, using the installer version - namely file xampp-windows-x64-8.2.4-0-VS16-installer.exe
I changed nothing.
I open phpMyAdmin, and create a new database called 'personal'. Then I select this database and click IMPORT. I browse for a sql export, that is zipped, and try to import. This fails with the message as reported above. If I manually unzip the file, the import works.
So a 'vanilla' install of XAMPP has this issue.

Let me see if I can include an image. Hmmm - didn't work. This link shows the result https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kf313n5tu8izs5dxyuwe0/phpMyAdmin-fails-to-import-zip.png?rlkey=6z1pjwq5ixfmsjgt2e61ivirw&dl=0
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

Postby bblake » 09. August 2023 23:26

The plot thickens. I decided to try an older XAMPP version at PHP 8.1 level. I wiped the 8.2.4 installation (on the test machine) and installed from this file: xampp-windows-x64-8.1.17-0-VS16-installer.exe

Now phpMyAdmin can import a zipped sql file as it has for many years. So this is a bug somewhere. One solution for me would be to use the 8.1 version. Somewhere there must be a fix.

Surely someone else has spotted this at, presumable, PHP 8.2 level?
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

Postby bblake » 20. August 2023 19:42

I was never able to resolve this, so I have now installed and use XAMPP 8.1.17 which works fine.
The various customers I support are mostly using PHP 7.4, and only one is at PHP 8 level - and that is PHP 8.1. So I have no other way to test phpMyAdmin at the php 8.2 level apart from XAMPP. Maybe I should submit a fault report on the phpMyAdmin support site - now if I could just find the time! Guess no-one else has tried this. Thanks for the help - Brendan.
Thanks,
Brendan.
bblake

Return to XAMPP for Windows