Failed to open stream

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Failed to open stream

Postby Alt789 » 23. June 2023 14:16

Hi, I must be doing something stupid because I keep getting this message:

Warning: include(localhost/mywebsite/styles/mainstyles.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\mywebsite\index.php on line 8

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'localhost/mywebsite/styles/mainstyles.php' for inclusion (include_path='C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\mywebsite\index.php on line 8

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm just trying to include a stylesheet.

My website code is simply:
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

<html>
</head>

<body>

<?php include "localhost/mywebsite/styles/mainstyles.php"; ?>

</body>
</html>
Alt789

XAMPP version: 8.1.6
Operating System: Windows 11

Re: Failed to open stream

Postby Nobbie » 24. June 2023 11:13

Indeed, thats a wrong path. Do not include the servername, only the path. As your index.php runs in mywebsite, ommit that folder also:

include "styles/mainstyles.php";
Nobbie

Postby Alt789 » 25. June 2023 03:43

Nobbie wrote:Indeed, thats a wrong path. Do not include the servername, only the path. As your index.php runs in mywebsite, ommit that folder also:

include "styles/mainstyles.php";

Thanks a lot. That worked! Thanks a lot!

One final thing. I can see that I can add "../" when referencing the same stylesheet from another directory, but is there a way to do that using an absolute path, as opposed to the relative ../ ?
Alt789

XAMPP version: 8.1.6
Operating System: Windows 11

Postby Nobbie » 25. June 2023 11:37

Of course, simply apply the full pathname c:/xampp/htdocs/mywebsite/styles/mainstyles.php

But keep in mind that absolute pathnames may not work on other servers (if you upload your script to a webhoster), as they probably have a different structure, i.e. mostly running Linux, which even does not know drive letters. You should use relative pathnames mostly until you definately need absolute pathnames.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows