XAMPP running too slow to develop on - Windows 10

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP running too slow to develop on - Windows 10

Postby VonRad » 12. April 2023 16:32

Hi,

I'm using Xampp v8.0.25, Gantry v5.1.16, the Gantry Helium template v5.1.16 template and Joomla 4.2.9. The localhost is running too slow to develop on. I've looked through forum posts and tried a few of the suggestions, without success. I've upgraded the RAM in my PC, reinstalled and updated Windows (with no errors), scanned the full system with Windows Defender, scanned the full system with Iolo System Mechanic Virus scan, cleaned and defragged the HD but it still runs dog slow. I've rebuilt this site three times to get a clean install and the last option I have is this forum before I have to replace Xampp. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
VonRad

XAMPP version: 8.0.25
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: XAMPP running too slow to develop on - Windows 10

Postby Nobbie » 13. April 2023 10:49

I dont think replacing Xampp will help, as Xampp is only a distribution. Its a normal Apache installation, normal MariaDB etc.. Joomla is well known for running slowly in some servers.

Where did you install Xampp? Standard c:/xampp or somewhere else? There are known issues when running DocumentRoot on a network drive. There are also known issues running databases from localhost, try 127.0.0.1 instead.

Very often Windows is an issue, if i were you, i would run Linux instead of Windows.
Nobbie

Postby VonRad » 13. April 2023 14:12

Thank you for your response. While I spent many years in IT I'm new to coding/ development. As such running Linux is beyond me. I installed XAMPP to c:/xampp. I'll look up how to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost and give it a try.
VonRad

Postby Nobbie » 13. April 2023 14:25

VonRad wrote:As such running Linux is beyond me.

No, its not. Everybody can run macOS "out of the box" and macOS also bases on linux. Even my old aunt (82 Years!) runs a Linux Notebook (as i installed here Linux). There is no reason to be afraid of Linux. Download and install Linux Mint (for example) and you will be happy.
Nobbie

Postby Froosh » 13. April 2023 21:29

Agreed, there is nothing magical about running/operating Linux. Just requires a bit of desire to become familiar with a few different concepts at times. But if you are using a desktop distribution, like Mint as suggested by Nobbie, there is really nothing to getting used to using the OS.

Not sure what form of development you are attempting to do, but XAMPP on Windows 10/11, works just fine. My last machine was Windows 10 running on a laptop that was rather old. XAMPP/Apache/MySQL performed well. Microsoft Edge browser tended to bog things down, but only when the development tools window was open.
Froosh

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Postby VonRad » 14. April 2023 03:08

Froosh, Glad it worked out for you.
VonRad

Postby VonRad » 14. April 2023 03:15

Nobbie, I'll have to take your word for it. My site design requires current news content (articles). Keeping up with topics is occupying the little time I have between fighting the good fight with my tech and learning enough to evaluate the tech pieces I still need. Right now I'm not going to add Linux - at least I don't think I will.
VonRad

Return to XAMPP for Windows