Windows 10 64-bit machine cannot connect to XAMPP database

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Windows 10 64-bit machine cannot connect to XAMPP database

Postby Kelvin75 » 08. March 2023 18:11

I have a Windows 10 64-bit machine and cannot connect to database in XAMPP x64 8.2.0. Via phpMyAdmin interface, I created a test DB that displayed my values. But I have been unable to follow the procedure to connect the DB with EXCEL. My ODBC does not have connectors for BDs except for dBase and MS Access.

I could not follow the procedures in '4.1 Installing Connector/ODBC on Windows' ( https://dev.mysql.com/doc/connector-odbc/en/connector-odbc-installation-binary-windows.html). I started by checking that my Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) are up to date. When I used the MDAC Component Checker tool, MDAC components were NOT detected. But when I downloaded and opened the mdac28sdk installer it did not confirm that I could open the MDAC file. Instead it asked if I wanted to .. 'Modify, Repair, or Remove' the MDAC file. However, I could not detect an MDAC file with the MDAC Component Checker tool. At that point I knew I needed advice.

Thanks for reading; I would appreciate your help.
Kelvin75

XAMPP version: 8.2.0
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Re: Windows 10 64-bit machine cannot connect to XAMPP databa

Postby Froosh » 08. March 2023 21:54

Not sure how many people have experience with MDAC anymore. Personally, I have not knowingly used that for a long time.

Looking at the information on the MySQL site, I assume you verified the prerequisites were met on your system, and that you installed the appropriate dlls.

As far as getting help with this, I am thinking that a forum dedicated to MySQL/MariaDB might be a better option. This forum is aimed at XAMPP and using it along with Apache, MySQL, and other packages related to XAMPP.

Who know, with any luck, there will be someone who has done exactly that. But meanwhile, I suggest looking at other resources, if you have not already done so.
Froosh

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Postby Kelvin75 » 09. March 2023 06:51

Thank you for your helpful points and perspective. I'll follow them up.
Kelvin75

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Postby Nobbie » 09. March 2023 09:36

Xampp does not install MySQL, but MariaDB instead. You installed the wrong ODBC connector. MariaDB has its own Connector. See https://mariadb.com/kb/en/about-mariadb-connector-odbc/
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows