xampp-control repeatedly corrupting MariaDB?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

xampp-control repeatedly corrupting MariaDB?

Postby cafu600 » 13. November 2021 12:09

tldr; As xampp-control seems to corrupt MariaDB ("wrong checksum") due to the way it just kills MariaDB, I'm wondering why there is no prominent warning about this known (?) fact.

Scenario:

After upgrading from a really old XAMPP version (1.8.3) to 8.0.6 (portable) earlier this year, I experienced repeated problems with MariaDB that I never saw with MySQL before:

After starting MariaDB, my applications sometimes (but repeatedly) were not able to connect (using a non-root user).
While phpmyadmin was still able to connect, some phpmyadmin settings were not accessible (don't remember exact message).

But each time this happened, I saw

Code: Select all
#1030 - Fehler 176 "Read page with wrong checksum" von Speicher-Engine Aria

#1030 - Got error 176 "Read page with wrong checksum" from storage engine Aria

in phpmyadmin.

Analysis:

After some googling and analyzing tables I verified some tables in mysql schema were corrupt.
I found a way to repair this using https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60864367/1030-got-error-176-read-page-with-wrong-checksum-from-storage-engine-aria
and additionally had to grant database-specific permissions to users again.

But as this happened again and again, I had a bad feeling about it and was curious about the reason.
Additionally, I found the MariaDB error.log showed lines like

2021-05-15 12:48:24 0 [Note] InnoDB: Starting crash recovery from checkpoint LSN=300288

upon each start (even if no corruption as described above occured).

Probable Cause:

While investigating, I stumbled upon viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78295&start=15#p268955
where user Altrea thankfully explained issues with the way xampp-control "stops" MariaDB if it is not used as a service.
As this made perfectly sense, I now installed 8.0.12 (because I needed the non-portable version) and installed the service for MariaDB.
Startup log now does no longer show the "crash recovery" part, hope this will sustainably resolve my issues.

Conclusion / Suggestion:

I still wonder why there is no prominent warning concerning this corruption issue?
(At least I did not see any warning concerning this, forgive me if I missed this somewhere.)

If it is a known fact that the "shutdown" (actually: kill) of MariaDB initiated by xampp-control is such a riskful operation, I'd have wished for a clear
popup when pressing that "START/STOP" button, describing that issue and suggesting to switch to using the service.
Would have saved me (and probably others) a lot of troubles and bad feelings.
cafu600

XAMPP version: 8.0.12
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows