Xampp crash while quitting

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp crash while quitting

Postby Timeless_prod » 29. July 2020 23:20

Hi everyone,

I've installed Xampp 2 days ago and start using MySQL to test my website's code. When I finish my work, I stop all the Xampp's services (Apache, MySQL,...) and then click on the quit button, but then I got 2 errors windows that both crash (I can't close them or click on the ok button).
One of them reads "Error: Cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini". Access Refused" and immediately the second one appear on top : "Exception EAccessViolation in module xampp-control.exe at 0025B2AE. Access violation at address 0065B2AE in module 'xampp-control.exe'. Read of address 00000042".

Immediately, they crash (windows start resolving issues and reads "xampp-control.exe not responding").

Can you tell me what does that mean and how to get rid of those errors every time I close Xampp.

Thank you !
Timeless_prod

XAMPP version: 3.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Re: Xampp crash while quitting

Postby Faela » 04. November 2020 23:37

I have this exact same problem and I was looking for a fix... Please if someone can help out let us know how to fix it
Faela

Operating System: Windows

Postby aniruddhad » 11. November 2020 14:14

Go to the folder C:\xampp
Right click
Security tab
Add "Everyone" user
Add Full Permissions
Then right click on the file C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini
Then right click file "xampp-control.ini" and repeat same permissions.

Done.
aniruddhad

XAMPP version: 7.3
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby avedu » 26. February 2021 20:00

Hi aniruddhad, your answer may be a fix or workaround, but do you why that file needs full permissions...? Or if it actually needs full permissions? And what it needs them for? That's such a strange thing to require.
avedu

XAMPP version: xampp-windows-x64-7.4.15-0-VC1
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Postby ReidGuy » 08. May 2021 17:57

I have the same error on exit. I found I only get the error when exiting by right clicking on the taskbar icon. If I exit right from the Exit button in the control panel, it closes nice and cleanly. It was when I ran C:\xampp_start and the console came up with a message suggesting to run C:\xampp_stop when wanting to exit to ensure the program closes cleanly(their words not mine!) that gave me the idea to look for an Exit button in the Control Panel, and there it was. With no error on exit.

I think it's just one of those complexities of xampp where it needs to run processes before being exited.
ReidGuy

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows