Cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini" error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini" error

Postby bjh » 28. May 2020 18:01

After installing xammp for Windows 7.4.6 and making a change in the configuration, i get Cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini" error after clicking on the SAVE button.
bjh

XAMPP version: 7.4.4
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit

Re: Cannot create file "C:\xampp\xampp-control.ini" error

Postby bjh » 28. May 2020 18:19

also get it when closing XAMPP after stopping Apache and MySQL and clicking the Quit button.
bjh

Postby wizwych » 31. May 2020 17:17

I am also having the same issue have you changed the Directory name for xampp to another name example xampp_old when you open your control panel again see which directory it is trying to open up..

I changed mine to xampp_old and created a new xampp named directory with all files added yet Control Panel insists on trying to open the xampp_old rather than the newly named folder
wizwych

XAMPP version: 7.2.31
Operating System: windows 10

Postby bjh » 31. May 2020 22:00

did not change the directory name. Used the default settings when installing XAMPP and was the very first app I installed once I had a fully updated Windows 10 installed.
bjh

Postby wizwych » 02. June 2020 00:48

All i can usggest is Save a copy of HTDOCS and MYSQL/DATA just the data foder save them to your DOCUMENTS folder and unnstall then reinstall XAMPP/WAMP then replace the HTDOCS and the MYSQL/DATA folders with the ones you saved earlier. That worked for me.....
wizwych

XAMPP version: 7.2.31

Postby sekar » 04. June 2020 07:16

Go to XAMPP, installation directory, select the xampp-control.exe, right click properties--> compatability, Run as administrator, apply.

[img]C:/Users/HOME/Desktop[/img]
sekar

XAMPP version: 7.4.5
Operating System: Windows 8

Postby bjh » 09. June 2020 20:37

@sekar your suggestion still gives me that error.
bjh

Postby kubegus » 18. June 2020 17:29

sekar wrote:Go to XAMPP, installation directory, select the xampp-control.exe, right click properties--> compatability, Run as administrator, apply.

That's works for me! Cheers!

I have the same problem when I closed the program, because I run it as normal, without "administrator". Now its closed without any warning adviced.
kubegus

XAMPP version: v3.2.4

Postby avedu » 26. February 2021 19:58

Why does the exe file need Administrator privileges in that folder? It was suggested by XAMPP installation to use C:\xampp to avoid permission issues... now it has a permission issue?

I'm having the problem when I click "Quit" in XAMPP Control Panel v3.2.4... but it seems like this same issue has been happening across multiple versions.

After clicking to force close the app (which reports the error to Microsoft), the XAMPP Control Panel is ultimately closed, and then starting it again shows that Apache and MySQL are still running... I click Stop on both of them, which works fine... then click Quit again, and get the same errors!

So the problem is specifically the Quit button... seemingly regardless of what's going on elsewhere in the interface.

Can someone explain what it's trying to do that Windows blocks access to? I'm a little concerned about things becoming corrupt, or XAMPP doing something weird that could be a security concern here (though updating its own config file shouldn't be a security concern, but requiring admin permission for it could be).
avedu

XAMPP version: xampp-windows-x64-7.4.15-0-VC1
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Postby ShinProg » 05. June 2021 12:15

Soory for the digging up, but I created an account only to reply this question that needs answers imo.

reference : comments from https://stackoverflow.com/a/38681354

Why does the exe file need Administrator privileges in that folder?

the file Xampp-control.ini for some (security ?) reasons become 'read only'. Two solutions :

• xampp constrol panel -> run as administrator. You only need it if you want to change settings, xampp don't requires admin privileges to start services.
    You can also make this change permanent by doing this :
    CodeToLife (Nov 23 '20 at 22:02) wrote: Right-click on this shortcut and choose Properties (you may have a Properties icon on the Menu bar - if so, click that instead). If not already there, click on the Shortcut tab in Properties. Click the Advanced button In the dialog that opens, check the box next to Run as Administrator Now it will always run as admin
  • Change the rights of the file :
    HartleySan (Feb 1 at 20:39) wrote:search for xampp-control.ini in the xampp folder. It should be the one in the xampp folder. Right-click it, go to Properties > Security > Edit. From there, allow Full Control for Everyone, then save the settings

Hope it helps,
ShinProg

XAMPP version: 8.0.6
Operating System: Windows 7/10 / Ubuntu

Postby Eaglin » 07. June 2021 10:58

sekar wrote:Go to XAMPP, installation directory, select the xampp-control.exe, right click properties--> compatability, Run as administrator, apply.

yeah your suggestion right,
I want to include that, make sure after installation restart your device
Eaglin

XAMPP version: 5.5.16

Postby michibinder-isanhuso » 30. December 2023 23:48

thx. minimized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nN3hyed4E
michibinder-isanhuso

XAMPP version: winget upgrade ApacheFriends.X
Operating System: Windows

Return to XAMPP for Windows