Make my website public

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Make my website public

Postby Santafianos » 04. May 2020 05:23

Hi. I want to make my website puplic. I have a domain at godaddy.what IP to insert an A record puplic IP or private IP? And what settings to change to my local pc?
Santafianos

XAMPP version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Make my website public

Postby Nobbie » 04. May 2020 11:09

Santafianos wrote:I have a domain at godaddy.what IP to insert an A record puplic IP or private IP?

"Private IP" never works. But also public IP may fail, usually internet providers do not assign fixed IPs, but dynamically change the IP (usually every 24 hours). In that case you should ask godaddy if they support "DynDNS". It not, you have a problem. Finally, it depends if your PC is directly connected to the internet or connected via router. In case of a router, you have to establish port forwarding to the Xampp PC at least for port 80 and optionally for port 443 (if you are plannning to use https, SSL connections).

Santafianos wrote:And what settings to change to my local pc?

"XAMPP is meant only for development purposes. It has certain configuration settings that make it easy to develop locally but that are insecure if you want to have your installation accessible to others. If you want have your XAMPP accessible from the internet, make sure you understand the implications and you checked the FAQs to learn how to protect your site. Alternatively you can use WAMP, MAMP or LAMP which are similar packages which are more suitable for production."
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows